Monday, October 26, 2015

Weekend Workshop

I have just spent the weekend down the coast, enjoying a wonderful quilting workshop.
The workshop was by Marg Sampson George who makes the most amazing, colourful, hand pieced quilts. So many techniques in these quilts that I felt I needed to step out of my comfort zone and stop playing safe and have a go!
So glad I did!
Right from the start we were treated to lots of goodies and spoilt rotten. Maree who runs our Sunday stitching get-togethers organised the workshop and did a fantastic job. Nothing was forgotten and everything was perfect. I love our gifts we received. Beautiful fabric covered folder to hold all our patterns in and a lovely pincushion/pocket with scissors and binding clips. The pincushion is made with wool fabric Maree got from the Birmingham Woollen Mill when she was in Ireland. It has crushed walnut shells inside and its so handy. I love the shape of the scissors and I'm already using everything. 
The room was huge and we all had a whole table to ourselves - which meant we could really spread out! 
A "chocolate fix" bag and "Lolly fix" bag on each table too! We were very spoilt. 
The food was incredible and there was plenty of it. Biscuits, cakes, muffins, sandwiches and scones - and all freshly made. 
There were lots of quilts to choose from too......
But I already knew which quilt I was keen to make. 
I absolutely love Marg's "Anna Levens Quilt". As I am always drawn to purchasing fabric with large prints on them and I have some really gorgeous pieces in my stash - I will be using lots of those fabrics and as I adore those prints, it will be a real quilt of "favourite fabrics". 
Marg was very helpful and helped me A LOT I have to say (there's one in every group!!!).  We got many great tips too on paper piecing and hand stitching and bias strips and appliqué. But, for me, her help with choosing colour and fabric prints, and combining different fabric ranges was the best. 
My first block. 
My roommates were De and Lynda and they were great fun, as always. 
A little blurry photo but here we are... Lynda, Maree, De and me! 
And a photo Lynda took (thanks Lynda!) 
Second day and second block. 
And working on the third.....
I'm really enjoying myself!!!
Some show and tell from Maree. 
More of Marg's incredible work. 
De is also playing with hexies. 
She's made a lot more than I have! 
It really was a fantastic weekend and I really enjoyed the whole experience.
Huge thanks to Marg for the workshop, all her help and patience and her wonderful skills. Another huge thanks to Maree for going to so much trouble to make this the wonderful weekend it was. I'm so glad I got the chance to go. 
Have a great week
Teresa XX 

9 comments:

Maria said...

You are all sew lucky to have gone to such a great workshop. Lots of gorgeous quilts to chose from....
Your blocks are looking fabulous...

marina said...

Very well done Teresa, I love your hexies and the centre fabrics are gorgeous, this will be a wonderful quilt!

Fiona said...

great workshop - it's so nice to go and not have to think about any thing else - I hadn't heard of her so lovely to see that work and I love the project you have chosen to do... it will be amazing... and you are looking so lovely - I love your hair that way...
Hugz

Susan said...

I wondered where those hexies were heading - that is going to look great. Would have been great to join in - next time!!

helbel19 said...

Fantastic photos Teresa.....I must go next time, looks like sooooo much fun. Maree is so good at organising things for the girls.

katrien said...

OH you have got a great time.
Love the works you show here.

Christine M said...

Your blocks look great, Teresa.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow . Love your blocks ... Fantastic photos ... That De is always giggling ...😍...so pleased you had a ball ... 💕❤️💙

Karen S said...

This does look like an amazing time. What a wonderful space you had to work in. Thanks for sharing these photos. I enjoyed seeing the quilts and designs.