Saturday, August 30, 2014

When Life Hands you Limes.....


Whilst shopping with my lovely friend, Leona, yesterday I picked up a bag of limes for $1. Bargain!!! Today I started searching for some recipes to use them up. I found 2 I couldn't resist trying. 
Key Lime Pie and Lime and Macadamia Nut Fudge. They were a hit. So very, very easy and delicious to boot! 
 
Lime and Macadamia Fudge:
  • 400g / 14oz can condensed milk
  • 150g / 5oz. macadamia nuts, chopped
  • 500g / 1.1lb white chocolate melts
  • 2 limes, grated for zest
Line an 18cm / 7in. square tin with baking paper (aka parchment paper). Place condensed milk and melts in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until smooth then remove from heat. Add nuts and zest and mix well. Pour into tin and refrigerate overnight prior to cutting.
 
Key Lime Pie......
  • 1 pkt. bickie base (cookie crumb base)
  • 4 limes, juiced
  • 400g / 14oz can condensed milk
  • 4 large egg yolks
Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow - don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the condensed milk.  Turn speed to low and mix in half the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated, add the other half and the zest of one lime, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds).   Pour the mixture into the bickie base and bake for 12 minutes at 150°C / 300°F to set.
 This is my recipe folder that I've had for years and holds all my favourite recipes. That's me and my 23 year old son, when he was about 5 years old, on the cover. We are making gingerbread men! Maybe this is where his love of cooking came from???

3 comments:

Susan said...

Mmmmmm......they look scrumptious. I had a lime macaroon yesterday which was surprisingly yummy. Your recipe book is so precious.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Very delicious! How cute is that photo on your lovely recipe book.

Karen said...

The recipes look delicious. And your recipe folder is great with that fun photo on the front.