Monday, February 10, 2014

Surfers Paradise

Last week my sister had a weeks holiday on the Gold Coast, specifically right smack in the centre of Surfers Paradise. As I usually only get to see her once or twice a year, I decided to go and visit her for the day. I forget how lucky we are living so close to the coast and how casual we are about visiting. People come from all over the world to visit Surfers Paradise and the Gold Coast. We have friends that live there and I quite often go to shows on the coast... in fact I even lived there for 2 years many years ago. We are regular visitors and I can honestly say in all those visits I very rarely see the ocean, let alone put my feet in the sand!
So this time I decided I would be a real tourist and enjoy the Coast like I really should. 
First up was the photo taking of the iconic Surfers Paradise sign. In all the years I have been to Surfers, I have never taken this photo before. Today I felt like a real tourist, lining up with so many others taking the same photo.
I parked right on the beach at Surfers and took in just how gorgeous it is. The day was magnificent. Blue skies, lovely sea breeze... and sand and ocean views.
Pretty nice!
Of course the skyscrapers are pretty cool too...
I had so much fun catching up with my sister. She hasn't been here for years so she was very much in a holiday mood. We visited Tiki village as we haven't been there since we were 6 and 5 years old. Can't believe how some things just don't change.  We also decided to recreate an old photo we had taken waaaay back in 1982. Yes we were extremely young then!!! We  had our photo taken in one of those old time photo places and man did we have fun.
This is very close to what we had taken all those years ago... and when I find the original photo!... I'll be able to compare. We were supposed to be not smiling, but we couldn't help ourselves.
Every time the photographer said :"straight faces:"... we lost it. There was one photo where we were absolutely rolling around laughing. We were not very good subjects at all!!! The funniest part was the bright red satin boxer shorts with ants all over them that I was wearing under my gorgeous dress!!!! This was to hide my modesty as the dresses open up at the back. See why I was laughing????
Yep, us pretending to be ladies.... no wonder we couldn't keep a straight face!
I had so much fun and it was wonderful to catch up and spend the day with my little sis. And be a tourist as well. Now we have all these wonderful photos to remember the day. Love it.
Hope you're having a great week....
Teresa xx
P.S. My sister found the original photo of us back in 1982. 
I'm so glad we got to do this again!!! 

15 comments:

Jan said...

What fun, Teresa.Where does your sister live?

Michelle Ridgway said...

Funny how we overlook the things in our own backyard. Lovely photos and looks like you had a ton of fun x

Susan said...

It is wonderful to stop and appreciate what we have right under our noses! Surfers looks amazing. Great pics, lots of memories in those.

Fiona said...

Great fun... You two look alike
Hugz

marina said...

how wonderful to have such a fun sister to spend time with.
Love those photos. I think the laughing makees the photos.

Val Spiers said...

What fun photos of you two.
Valspierssews

Susan said...

Certainly a fun day...I think your sister looks like your mum.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a fun day! Beautiful pictures of the scenery, but I especially love the pics of the 2 of you, just having fun!

Jo in TAS said...

Great photos, you can tell you're sisters. All the years I spent at the Gold Coast I never took that photo either. I desperately wanted to be a life saver but mum wouldn't let me join, think it was knowing she'd be driving me back and forth that crushed my dreams. I love the ocean x

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

You look good playing ladies......love your photos

Dianne said...

Ha ha loved the vintage photo story. A lot of my childhood was spent at the Gold Coast visiting my grandparents. I still reckon they have the best beaches in the world!! My sister and I would be exactly like you guys and not be able to stop laughing. We can have very embarrassing moments when we get the giggles :-)))

Tatkis said...

Wonderful photos - what a great time you both had :) xxx

Noela said...

Lovely post Teresa. Hope to catch up on Sunday. hugs.....

Mistea said...

Looks like a perfect catch up with your sister in Paradise.
Lovely.

Pansy said...

Pretending to be ladies! I don't think so, you are a lady through & through, I adore these photos, you both look stunning, what a fun thing to do x