Tuesday, November 19, 2013

(Not Quite) Summer Storm Season...

Our storm season is definitely here. Last Saturday was the seventh day in a row of severe storm and weather warnings. These warnings were much closer to home and this time our suburbs name was mentioned every warning. I knew we were going to get more than rain this time.  
It started off with small hail and then it got louder and louder. This is the first time in 26 years of living here, that I have seen hailstones this big. 
We didn't get it quite as bad as other places - some received hail as large as tennis balls. This is what we call Australian snow! 
It's weird how the hail can be so different in its shape. Some are perfectly round. I've since found out from the Higgins Storm Chasers site that the hailstone in the very first photo, with its bumpy, strange shape, is called gorilla hail. There you go - I didn't know that! 
Today, the ninth straight day of storms, rain and scary weather, was really amazing. This photo is taken as we were driving home through Browns Plains. The clouds were moving in both directions and we literally drove underneath this dark swirling cloud. It was really low and I couldn't believe how crazy (well, scary actually!) it looked. It didn't rain until we has passed right under the clouds and it certainly bucketed down then. This was a supercell. I've only seen this once before, a few years ago and closer to home. Very exciting - as long as there's no damage and no one gets hurt!!! 
I wonder if that's the last of the storms? We certainly have had a lot of rain and the tank is full - which I am very thankful for. 
Hope everyone is staying safe in this crazy weather we are having. 
Teresa xx

12 comments:

Christine M said...

That sky is amazing. I can believe how scary it was. Bet you were glad to get home.

Susan said...

Thank goodness our hail stones weren't that big. The weather is so crazy at the moment, but at least your tank is full.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Yesterday's storm came up so quickly. Thankfully only small hail here but buckets of rain. The skies have been amazing. Those are some big hailstones. Glad you have had no damage.

shez said...

what interesting pics teresa,those black clouds look very scary,glad you got home safe.xx

Fiona said...

crazy weather.. the storm clouds look really menacing...
Hugz

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

That's a horrible, horrible cloud. Did you get tornadoes? I would be hiding in the closet.

Mistea said...

I enjoyed the changing colours of the sky last week and my flight was delayed Sunday. We managed to stay mostly dry, though we did drive through sn amazing storm one day.
Stay safe and dry.

Susan said...

Glad everything is OK after that - it has been bad lately but I suspect we are not over it yet - but a full tank is great news for you!

KAYLEE said...

Wow look at that hail, we've had lots of storms and rain down our way but thankfully no damage. The one yesterday was scary, we were on our way home out of the city at 4pm and drove straight into it, I have some similar photos I took with my phone, then as we got to near Logan Hyperdome it was bucketing down and also hail, thank goodness it was the trails of hail as they got big ones at Coomera apparently, I'm glad we weren't driving through it that size, it was scary enough...

Karen said...

I am a bit late but now catching up on a few posts.
That storm looks amazing. Can't believe the size of the hailstones. I definitely did not know they were called gorilla hail!
So glad you were not driving in that.
the photo of the storm clouds is stunning!!
Out of it all, I am pleased you got some good rain.

Pansy said...

Wasn't it amazing to witness, sorry to see you got some hail damage to our car :( I was worried abt our solar panels but they were fine

manda said...

That is so amazing! I haven't seen hail for almost 16 years now.