Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Some Recipes and Stitching With the Girls


Just sharing a couple of favourite recipes today....
I found this one on facebook a couple of weeks ago and I have made it twice since then. It's lovely and delicious and best of all... it's all cooked in one pan... (I hate washing up!)

Lemon and Garlic Chicken

6 tablespoons olive oil
2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced, 1 juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
300g trimmed green beans
8 small red potatoes, quartered
4 chicken breasts, bones left in, with skin (I used fillets with no skin and it worked just fine!)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 200°C. Coat a large baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange the lemon slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish.

In a large bowl, combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper; add the green beans and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the green beans and arrange them on top of the lemon slices. Add the potatoes to the same olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, arrange the potatoes along the inside edge of the dish or skillet on top of the green beans. Place the chicken in the same bowl with the olive-oil mixture and coat thoroughly. Place the chicken, skin-side up, in the dish or skillet. Pour any of the remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.

Roast for 50-60 minutes, making sure potatoes are tender. Serves 4.

 
 Another recipe I tried this week was ... Date and Walnut Slice.
I literally googled "Best ever date slice recipe" into my phone while I was doing the grocery shopping and this recipe came up. It is delicious and I love the added walnuts. 

90 g butter, chopped
4 weetbix, crushed
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Grease an 18 x 28 cm pan. Line base with baking paper.
Place butter, weetbix, dates, sugar, bicarb soda and water in a bowl. 
Mix until well combined. Allow to cool.
Stir in egg, flour and walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Smooth over top with a knife.
Cook at 180 C for 25-30 mins or until cooked when tested. Cool slice in pan.
Remove from pan and cut into slices. 
Delicious!

So nice to have a batch of homemade slices to take to stitching yesterday with the girls. 
As usual I was too busy chatting and catching up with everyone and only achieved a small amount of stitching....
Some of the girls have just come back from the Melbourne Craft show and I was spoilt with some lovely gifts...
A beautiful piece of fabric and cute little Eiffel Tower card from Helen....
 
The sweet little scissor fob is from Noreen.....
 
And the lovely Lynda spoilt me with this wonderful bag. I am very lucky! Thank you so much girls!!! I love my presents!   
Hope you are having a wonderful week!

 

9 comments:

Fiona said...

Hi Teresa, both those recipes look just the kind I like, easy and tasty....
lovely parisian gifts....
Hugz

Marilyn said...

Yummy sounding recipes, think I will have to try them. I just brought back the same floral plate (top slice pic) from my daughter's. It had belonged to my mum and I want to use it at a High Tea later in the year. Lovely gifts from the girls.

Tatkis said...

I just need to try and get to know how to use my oven :))

Great gifts from ladies!
Hugs,
Tatyana

Melody said...

Gorgeous gifts.

Susan said...

Choosing what to cook can be the hardest part...thanks for the new recipes to try. Aren't your friends sweet to think of you while they were away.

Carolyn said...

What great friends you have! Love that fabric and the date slice looks very yummy.

Lynda said...

Is that an Anni Downs stitchery? Looks familiar.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thanks for the yummy recipes....the look delicious. Lovely pressies from your friends too.

Dianne said...

Hey Teresa, Thanks for the lovely recipes. Gonna make the chicken one tomorrow night and the date slice will be perfect to take to quilt retreat. Lucky you with the gorgeous gifts!!! Di.