Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ruth Stoneley Exhibition


Last week I was lucky enough to go the Quilt Exhibition in the Queensland Art Gallery (again!) for the third time and I don't think I will ever tire of it! It's amazing how you still manage to see something new each time. Making it even more interesting was going on a guided tour this time. Still learning so much about these beautiful quilts. We also managed to see the Ruth Stoneley exhibit that is showing at the Art Gallery.

Such beautiful quilts and so detailed and intricate. She really was an exceptional artist. 
You were able to take photos in this exhibit, so I was very happy snapping away!!!


Just a couple of little purchases this time... A book on Ruth Stoneley's quilts at the Art Gallery and a couple of postcards depicting the 1700's quilts.
Before we left we went in to see this painting.... It's called "Monday Morning"and is by Vida Lahey. I have always loved this painting and my uncle (who I visit the Art Gallery with often) actually has a print of this in his house. We went to look at it specifically as one my friends is the great niece of Vida Lahey..I couldn't believe the coincidence when she took us straight up to this very painting. I just love it. That's Adrienne (the great niece) trying to escape in the photo!
Hope you all had a lovely weekend... 
And hope you have a great week!
Teresa xx

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

So good that you have been able to go again and see the Ruth Stoneley quilts as well. I am hoping to do so as well - better hurry as the other one will be finished before we know it. Lovely story about the painting too.

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

I also went to the gallery last week.....just LOVED it!!
you are so lucky to go 3 times!
Also saw the Ruth Stoneley exhibit.
Sorry I missed the painting..there was just so much to see. Such a beautiful gallery you have in QLD. I think I love Brisbane and will have to go back!

Fiona said...

It's a lovely exhibition... they wouldn't let us take photo's!! haha... you must have battered your eyelashes!
Hugz

Jan said...

Wish I lived closer; I'd love to see that exhibition. Lucky you to be able to see it three times!!!(so far!) thank you for the pics of the Ruth Stoneley exhibition; I remember her from years back for her lovely shop and her beautiful fabric designs. She had such talent and I'm sure is still much missed in the quilting community. These had nothing at all to do with fabric, but P and I did go to 2 great exhibitions in Melbourne recently - Hollywood Costumes (complete with Scarlett O'Hara's dress from Gone with the Wind) and Monet's Garden - all the beautiful paintings and photographs brought back happy memories of our visit to the real thing a few years ago. You would have loved that one!

Pansy said...

Just beautiful Teresa, I also adore that painting, as a child we had concrete tubs just like that in the wash house.
A real treat was to have a bath in them side by side with my Sister, happy memories

Karen said...

You are so lucky to be able to see this display several times!

Noela said...

Wonderful quilts Teresa. Must try and get in there one day. Hugs.....

Susan said...

I really enjoyed looking at Ruth's exhibition - I went the day her son gave a talk so that added another dimension - heading off to the "big" exhibition on Thursday - really looking forward to that.