Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Another Year... Another Ekka...

I can't believe it is Ekka time again (Brisbane's Royal Queensland Show). That means strawberry sundaes, sideshow alley, rides, show bags, animals and more animals, food and wine, quilts, arts and crafts, produce, the Ekka Adventure Trail and fireworks!!!! So we did all that......and more....
I can't believe James and Liv went on this! I can handle the ferris wheel, but that's about it!
The quilts were wonderful, as always.... I always look forward to seeing the quilts....
But this was my favourite. Tiny, little half inch squares to make Audrey Hepburn. The detail was incredible and there were even little diamontes and pearls in her tiara, earrings and necklace. It was beautiful. 

I always love checking out the cakes... so many talented people out there and the cakes certainly didn't disappoint! I also really enjoy the paintings, photography and art displays, but no photos are allowed!
 
 Love, love, love the animal nursery!
We had to try these.... This is the first time I have ever seen Funnel Cakes, and the way they are made is amazing to watch. I needed help to eat this as it was huge. We tried the Caramel Carousel Funnel Cake and it was delicious!!
 I love the colours of the show! Everywhere you look there is colour and fun and music and laughing... makes you feel like a kid again.
The fireworks this year were fantastic... the best we've ever seen. It wasn't just fireworks, but a laser show, 
guys on motorbikes towing kites with flames and fireworks around the arena, the rocketman (who was much cooler than I thought he would be!!), a water show and all put to great music. We were all very impressed with the fireworks and nightime ring events this year.
As we were walking out of the show, at the end of the night, I took this photo of my gorgeous family. They were the reason I had such a wonderful day. We didn't spend all day together and both couples went off and did their own thing (like when I wanted to see the quilts ha ha!!) , but we kept catching up throughout the day and even ran into each other at one stage (couldn't believe it as there were so many people at the show!). It was sheer chance that we all managed to have the same day free to go.... and it was a wonderful, fun day. Absolutely magic. 
I was so tired at the end of the night....It's a huge day and totally exhausting... but so worth it!!!
Hope you're having a lovely week!
Teresa x

10 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

nothing quilt like a show.........

Marilyn said...

Fantastic account of your day at the Ekka, Teresa. Gorgeous photo at the end too.

Fiona said...

Such a lovely post Teresa....
Hugz

Susan said...

I haven't been to the Exhibition Show for years - I miss seeing the quilts and cakes. Do you know who did the black & white portrait - looks like a Lorraine Carthew effort.

Noela said...

Love the Ekka but not going this year. The quilts are gorgeous especially the Audrey Hepburn one. I had my first taste of funnel cake at a hot rod show in Louisville USA in 2007. Seeing yours brought back good memories. Hugs......

Anita said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

marina said...

loved seeing your Ekka pics.
bet you slept very well that night.

Wendy B said...

Oh sweety...thanks for sharing your lovely day.....I miss the Ekka soooo much....last time I went was near on 15 years ago......you've let me relive it......and even better than if I'd done it myself!!! Will have to make a date one year with you.....life's too short not to have fun with friends and family!
xoxoxo big sugary sweet hugs
Wendy :o)

Karen said...

What a great time. Love looking around the exhibits. Lovely to have quilts at the show.
Aren't funnel cakes delicious? We have only had them in the US so I am delighted to hear they are now here.

Tatkis said...

Wonderful time at Ekka!
Cake exhibition and quilts were fantastic this year :))

Hugs,
Tatyana