Wednesday, June 5, 2013

May Stitching and Sewing


Even though my blogging was pretty quiet through May, there was still a lot of stitching going on. One of my favourite things I made this month was this very cute tea cosy. It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be and quite fiddly with all the layers of batting and insulbrite... but I was really happy with the way it turned out. It was a birthday present for the lovely Tatyana who adores owls and who incidentally drew my attention to this pattern in the first place. I love the way you can tuck some spoons and tea bags into it's wings.
May's project for the Stitch A Long was this lovely bag designed by Anni Downs. I love it and really enjoyed doing the stitchery for the front of the bag.
  I bought this beautiful piece of linen when I was in Adelaide and it was just enough to make the bag.
I love the fabric I've used for the lining as well...  in brown, beige and red.
Also last month my "wonderful" friend Helen, from my Tuesday Stitching Group, shamed me and the other girls into admitting to our very honest UFO list. It was quite a shock to start making the list and one by one, remember all the things I've started and not yet finished. Anyway..... when I went home I found this little Christmas quilt of Gail Pans that I'd started a few years back. 
All the stitcheries have been done... but that is as far as I got.
I went home and put all the blocks together, put on a border and then finished the quilt off by quilting and binding it. So wonderful to get this finally finished. Even more wonderful to cross if off my very long list!
I've also been doing these lovely little stitcheries by Michelle Ridgeway ... another Christmas project. They are so much fun to do.
  Also I've been making aprons.... three of them to be exact. I bought this material especially to make an apron for a friend of mine... who is without a doubt, the "cupcake queen". It was for her birthday.
I'm thrilled to say that she loves it! 
My eldest son and I did an Indian cooking class and the only thing we had to bring was... an apron! So this saw me making the other two aprons. Of all the fabrics I showed James that I could make his apron out of... you guessed it... he wanted a cupcake apron too....
I have discovered over the years that it is very hard to embarrass either of my boys!! Absolutely nothing phases them... so here's my urban woodsman in his cupcake apron!!
Mine was made in a fabric I've fallen in love with... and of course... very French!!!
I've lined all the aprons and I think this is how I will make them from now on. It gives a great weight to them and they sit so nicely .. plus gives you that extra bit of fabric for any spills etc. 
I'll have to do another post about our cooking class... it was such a wonderful day!
So there you go... even though I've been quiet, I've been busy too.
Today has been perfect sewing and stitching weather.. a little overcast and cooler... loving the cooler weather that's for sure. 
Hope you've had a lovely day....





15 comments:

Cattinka said...

Hi Teresa,
this post is very inspiring, you got so many beautiful things done. I like the owl, the aprons, the bag, and I like that you finished the christmas wall hanging, I made that one too.
KATRIN W.

marina said...

so many beautiful projects that have been keeping you company. Lovely to finish off an old ufo, it looks lovely.
love your aprons too.

helbel19 said...

Wow so much news, good to see you back blogging...... hope to see you soon. Great projects as well.

Helen

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh how cute is that little hootie and ohh that gorgeous teacup. You have done some gorgeous stitching Teresa. Love your Son in his apron. I better get cracking on my blocks or I shall be overtaken. lol xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love all your projects Teresa..those aprons are amazing....

Mistea said...

Gorgeous version of Gail's Christmas quilt.
Very pretty aprons you've been stitching up. The owl tea cosy is sweet. Looks like you've been enjoying your stitching time.

Susan said...

What a great round up of your work. Very cute apron..

Lynda said...

Fantastic month there Teresa.

Jeanette said...

You have been busy Teresa. Love all your projects. Hugs,xx

Mary said...

Great job on getting all those projects done. Love the aprons.

sunny said...

Your tea cosy is adorable!! And you gotta love a big burly man in a cupcake apron. What a good sport, and I'm sure you had a perfectly wonderful day together.

Fiona said...

gosh you have been busy... lots of fantastic items done...
Hugz

Karen said...

A lot of sewing happening for you! The tea cosy is gorgeous. What a lovely idea.
And it looks like the aprons were a real hit! Great fabrics.
Good luck with the UFO pile.

Chookyblue...... said...

Your SAL bag looks great....you have had a busy sewing month.....

Fiona @ Dragonfly-Crafts said...

You have been a very busy girl. Lovely sewing.