Sunday, October 14, 2012

What Makes Me Happy 14.10.12

 
Todays post is a bit early for Monday and is really much more of a "What I'm grateful for" post instead of what's making me happy,
About 4 years ago it was found I had this thing called Salzmann's Nodular Dystrophy... in both eyes. As far as I can gather it's caused by sun damage and is a growth covering most of my eyes, which unfortunately over the last few years has become a lot worse and is now distorting my vision.
Last Friday I had the first of 2 surgeries.. this one to my left eye. Today is the first time I've been able to sort of "see" well enough to even look at a computer. So I thought I would quickly jot down a few thoughts...
Firstly I would love to hear of anyone else who has this or knows of anyone who has it. I'd never heard of it before. I'm hoping the surgery went well as I've been told it may have to be redone in 2 years or 10 years depending on how well the surgery went. After the pain I've been through, I am seriously hoping mine lasts 10 years. The doctor didn't inform me until I was prepped for surgery on Friday that the pain would be intense.... His exact words were that the pain was like being stung in the eye by a blue bottle jellyfish... I think that was a pretty apt description.
To all the friends who have been cracking "pirate"jokes... my "patch" turns out to be a clear contact lens sort ..... how boring!!!! So no parrot is needed... sad face!!!!
It has led me to think about how important our sight is.. We all know that and I'm sure we all think how lucky we are to have it. I am so grateful for my sight and I appreciate it even more since the real scare of losing it has hit home. The last few months have been quite scary with how quickly my sight was deteriorating and I couldn't understand how things I couldn't make out were being seen easily by those around me. 
Hopefully this is the start of good things and my eyesight will improve... well at least not get any worse!!!
I am grateful for the doctors and assistants and todays technology ....
Grateful for all the lovely messages and phone calls from family and friends...
Grateful for all the help at home.... there is a lot to do as everyday keeps on going forward...
Have a wonderful week... and happy Monday... tomorrow!!!


18 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Teresa - how scary this is for you - and I don't even want to think about the pain - hopefully the pain has gone now but you know you have to do it again...But I do so hope its a 10 year thing and you have great eyesight for more than 10 years. I think this is a wakeup call to remind us all to be grateful for what we DO have and to get our eyes checked from time to time. BIg hugs

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh dear.....Take care Teresa...xxxx and huge hugs...

De said...

That would be hugely scarey....Take care. xoxo

Sandi said...

So glad you have put up a post..have been waiting patiently to hear how things went...cant wait to see you and you me (maybe we all look different to you now- better I hope)..lol
As for your patch..we could make you some pretty embroidered ones...you know - sleepy eye, glamorous eye,crying eye, etc.
Hope to catch you soon, all your friends are here for you if you need us..and no we wont stitch your skow for you..lol

Noela said...

So glad you are feeling a bit better after your op. Let's hope that it will be many years before it needs to be done again. Take care and look after yourself. Anything I can do, just let me know. Hugs.....

Mistea said...

Hoping your world looks brighter already.
May the surgeons magic be long lasting.
Cheers

Sunnybec said...

Oh Teresa it sounds awful. Like many others I have had to google this to see what it was, I had never heard of it either. Eyesight is so precious, I have worn glasses since I was a little girl and envy people with 20/20 vision, until it is taken away from you you dont realise how wonderful it is. I really hope this lasts for 10 years and you dont have to go through all this again before then. Hugs x

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh my dear girl...you've been through the wringer. I do hope you heal quickly and the effects long lasting.
Sending hugs and healing.

Lynda said...

Oh wow Teresa. I have everything crossed for your speedy recovery and no need for further surgery in two or ten years

Diann said...

Oh Teresa, that is terrible. I'm so sorry you've been in such pain. I hope everything goes really well and that you have a speedy recovery. Our sight is so precious to us, not just with our crafts, but for life in general....OK but mainly for our crafts! Sending strong, healing vibes your way.

marina said...

sounds like you have had to endure some pain with the op, hope it has subsided and that the effects will be long lasting. How long before you have to have your other eye done?
Love Sandi's idea of the different eye patches, shame about the skow lol.

Maree: said...

Hope you are feeling Better now after your op....
Take Care
Hugs

sunny said...

SOrry about the pain! I certainly hope it's worth it in the end. Our sight is one of the most important things we have, especially because of the hobbies we've chosen. Hope all is well soon!!!

Tatkis said...

I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went OK (but so sad it was painful!)

Take care!

Hugs,
Tatyana

shirley said...

So sorry to hear of this problem with your sight Teresa, and the pain you have been in. Hope that the healing process is quick and the results of the surgery are good. Thinking of you

Sue W ♥ said...

I so hope the surgery was successful,fingers crossed, I can't imagine the pain you must have been in but glad you are on the mend, take care and let yourself be waited on, enjoy it while you can :)

KAYLEE said...

I have never heard of this before now Teresa. Very scary and awful for you. Hugs and prayers coming to you, I HOPE it lasts 10 years. Take care. Hugs Kaylee xoxo

Sarah said...

Oh dear! I do hope everything goes well xxxxx