Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday Treasures

It's been a while, but I am linking up with Melody's Tuesday Treasures today.
Last week one of my daily photo challenges was "hidden" and I thought of my little set of Russian Matryoshka dolls for the photo. It was lovely to get them out and have them all set up in a row, instead of hiding inside the larger doll.
 
I painted these little wooden dolls a few years back. The best part of painting them was that I painted them at the same time as a very dear friend of mine. We got together one day a week and painted all day. The dolls were not easy to paint, though, and it did take us a long time to paint them.That wasn't a problem at all,  as our get togethers each week were just wonderful times... painting, chatting, laughing and having some lunch together. I think of her every time I look at my little dolls.
 
I love their faces and their gorgeous little scenes on the front. We had wanted to paint them for so long and once we found the wooden sets we were on our way.
 
The littlest doll was by far, the hardest one to paint. Trying to paint her, and hold her at the same time (without getting paint all over my hands) was very fiddly... it was like trying to paint a jelly bean!
 My doll sits next to another very lovely little set of Matryoshka dolls...Another treasure of mine, but this one because it was given to me by my lovely friend Helen. She brought it back for me from her trip to Austria.
 Aren't they just lovely?
 This set is a lot smaller than the set I painted and I'm really glad I didn't have to paint this teeny, tiny little one!
 Well it was lovely to have that little walk down Memory Lane again today... I am off to Melody's to see who else is sharing their treasures!
Have a great day,

16 comments:

Kayly said...

Clever girl! Your dolls are beautifully painted.

Cattinka said...

Dear Teresa,
you know I like these dolls because I have told you before. You are so good at painting, I especially like the pretty faces they have. I wouldn´t have the patience to do it.
KATRIN W.

shez said...

lovely treasure's Teresa.xx

Susan said...

Wow, I saw these in your earlier post but didn't realise you painted them yourself - clever girl. They are lovely.

Carolyn said...

What patience you had... but well worth the effort. They are exquisite!

Traffic Pulse India said...

your website is good, but always try to improve it or innovate and it’ll be even better.Take it as a Suggestion.
Arya Samaj Wedding Ghaziabad

Karen said...

Your doll sets are gorgeous. I am full of admiration for your patience and skill in painting these.

Marilyn said...

You have done a brilliant job in painting them. They are so beautiful.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow you did such an awesome job. I love these sets. I have a couple too.How special though to have painted your own. Helen's gift are gorgeous too.

Cath said...

I love Matryoshka dolls. My brother is a frequent visitor to Russia and thereabouts and I keep begging him to bring me some authentic ones for me. Still waiting! Yours are beautiful and I am so impressed that you have painted them.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Fiona said...

That really is amazing work ....
Hugz

marina said...

both of the babushka's are just amazing. The ones you painted are gorgeous and really a treasure!

Melody said...

Both sets are delightful. You are so talented to have painted a set yourself. Thank you so much for sharing them and linking up with TT

Melody said...

Both sets are delightful. You are so talented to have painted a set yourself. Thank you so much for sharing them and linking up with TT

Khristina aka Khris said...

WOW you are a clever girl...well done. Hugs Khris

Fiona @ Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Very cute little dolls :)