Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday Treasures

 A few weeks ago I showed you this gorgeous doily that my Great Grandmother made. In the post I said how I remembered her crocheting little shoes and bells. Well my Dad just happened to read that post and sent me a lovely email. He said he still had one of Granny Angus little shoes and he wanted me to have it!!!!
Last week when I visited my Dad he gave me this! It's one of her tiny little crochet shoes and I can't believe it still looks as good as the day she made it. Not being a crocheter - I am really amazed at how you can crochet and make such a delicate, intricate shape like this!!!!
Little tiny flowers on the toe and she has stitched a silver thread all around the edge. It's just beautiful and I love it so much.. I am especially happy that Dad gave it to me... But that's not all......
Dad also gave me this little chair. My Great Grandmother also made this.. I don't remember it at all, so it was a lovely surprise to see it. It's been made out of a can and was probably made when the aluminium can was first made and started being used here (which we've googled and found to be late 1960's, early 1970's).
There is so much work in it and it's so ornate. She has made tiny little cuts nearly all the way down the can and then rolled and twisted each section to make the back, the legs, the arms and tiny little details along the front.
I think it's so lovely and I will treasure it and the little tiny crochet shoe.
 
This is a photo of my Greant Grandparents on their wedding day. 
What an amazing, talented lady my Great Grandmother was!
I am linking up with Melody again today for Tuesday Treasures. 
I am off to see who else is sharing their treasures today. 
Have a great day!

17 comments:

Susan said...

Lovely treasures Teresa. I am amazed by the crochet too. If I tried to do that with a can there would be blood everywhere! Special family treasures.

Joy said...

Those are really beautiful family treasures Teresa, you're so lucky to have them :o).
Hugs
Joy :o)

Sunnybec said...

I can crochet but my mouth fell open when I saw that shoe! I have never seen anything so beautiful before...then I saw your little chair WOW what patience and talent your Gt Grandmother had. Hugs xx

Jeanette said...

Wonderful treasures Teresa. Hugs,

Fiona said...

Those are so awesome Teresa and how special that they are with you... such skill...
Hugz

marina said...

what fabulous treasures, Your dad is a very thoughtful man to have gifted them to you.

retdairyqueen said...

Gorgeous treasures Teresa
You are so lucky to have them and more treasured because your Dad has kept them and given them to you

Michelle Ridgway said...

Just so special Teresa. Looks to me like a lot of her creativity rubbed off on you. I am sure she would love to known you have her treasures.

Noela said...

Your work is always beautiful Teresa so I think there's definitely a lot of your grandmother's talents in you. I know you will treasure the gifts made by her. Hugs.....

debbie said...

The pansy doily is so very pretty!
debbie

Tatkis said...

What a treasure! This crocheted shoe is so lovely, and chair is so cute and unusual!

Tatyana xx

Susan said...

Both are just so beautiful. what treasures..

Lea said...

The edges of your grandma's doily look like a line of orchids. Beautiful :)

Allie said...

Wow what treasures, Teresa! I adore that shoe and chair. Such intricate work!!!

Mistea said...

How wonderful to have these gorgeous creations made by your gran. That shoe is just amazing in the picture I'm imagining it is perfect in real life.

I remember people making those can sculptures, thanks for the memory.

Enjoy

KAYLEE said...

I love the crocheted shoe Teresa, it's amazing and is in good repair considering it's age. WOW that aluminium chair is crazy, I've never seen anything like it, how creative of your Great Grand Mother.

Melody said...

True treasures. Such beautiful things and the family connection makes them so much more special.