Monday, July 23, 2012

What Makes Me Happy 23.7.12

Making me happy today is .....
old, vintage doileys! I just love them...
 
 Embroidered, crocheted, tatted, cross stitched... I love them all.. especially hand made ones.
 What made me think of them today was this one... 
This is very precious to me and was made by my Great Grandmother. Her crochet was exquisite and she was very well known for her beautiful 3D pansy flower edges.
Isn't it just beautiful? I remember her crocheting little lace shoes for weddings and decorative, fine bells for Christmas decorations. This particular doiley belonged to my Nanna and she used it for many, many years.
It is taking pride of place on my dressing table and I love it.
 Also making me happy is this book. It was such a great read, and I have Michelle to thank for letting me know about it. It was written by a Brisbane woman and parts of the book were set in and around Brisbane and Paddington. Love those books that have mystery and twists throughout... it was so good.
.... And ... this is my new phone case (Thanks to Vicki!!!)... Makes me so happy to look at it!
A little message from Johnny .... he makes me happy today too! 
It's so many little things... all around me .... that make me happy!
Hope you are having a very Happy Monday!!

10 comments:

marina said...

gorgeous doilies!
I love a good doily too.
Your new phone case is beautiful.
Stay happy!

Melody said...

I love doilys too. You have a great collection.

Margaret said...

Grandmas made the nicest pansies, it must have been an art in there time. Doileys are made from love and especially nice to have.

Dianne said...

Your doilies are beautiful Teresa especially the pansy one. I have many from my Nana and some I did myself as a child. I cherish them too. xxx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I have a few of my Nan's doilies as well Teresa, mine are also treasured....it was a good book..

Susan said...

Your Great Grandmothers work is exquisite. Glad you're having such a happy day.

Roseanne said...

I love all your doilys. I have some of my mums and grandmas as well. What make me happy today my 4 yes 4 grand children have just gone home time to sit done and rest.

Mistea said...

I love the pansies (that was before you said it was a special family treasure). It is very special and well used too - not that it is obvious from the pic.
Lots of happiness at your place today.
Enjoy the rest of the week.

Fiona said...

ooooph... johnny would make me happy any day..... oh my! love the doilies... and your grandmothers is just gorgeous... I am very sad that it is only recently I have got to appreciate them ... I have thrown so many out over the years...
Hugz

Anthea said...

The doiley's are so pretty, and it's so precious that you have some of your Great Grand's handiwork. Family history at its best. I have some family crochet too - but it's a massive chunky blanket my Nan made in the 1960s