Monday, May 28, 2012

What Makes Me Happy 28th May 2012

Lots of lovely things making me happy today...
Firstly, wonderful mail from my Mum..
As always, my Mum has sent me a gorgeous assortment of things she knows I will love. 
More amazing quotes, written out beautifully on gorgeous french papers.... A beautiful notebook covered in pictures from Paris that she couldn't pass by without getting for me....and a wonderful little metal bell that belonged to my Great Aunt Jess.
My Auntie Jess gave this to my Mum years ago and Mum thought I would like it ... I DO... At first I thought it was a knitting needle gauge, but my husband thinks it is a standard wire gauge... although why my Aunt would have it in with her sewing things, I don't know. Anyway, we decided to get on the computer and google "standard wire gauge bell shape" and this amazing site came up. In the article I read...
"These bell-shaped knitting needle gauges originated in the Victorian era: 1847 to be precise. Bell gauges were specifically mentioned in some Victorian knitting patterns and are useful if you’re working from pre-1920s British knitting patterns as needle sizes were a little different then."
One of the bells pictured in the article is trademarked with the name Abel Morrall and this is the brand my little bell is. I'm thrilled to bits I know so much more about it now. 
Thanks Mum... you knew I'd love it!
 
 A trip up to Tamborine Mountain last week was also a great, happy day. Jack and I went up to search for a couple of Birthday presents and what better place to go to for something different.
 As well as finding exactly what we were after in the present department... I found this gorgeous little English vintage thimble... with 2 hand painted butterflies on it (There is another one painted on the back).
 
And no trip to the Mountain would be complete without a yummy treat at the Spice of Life cafe.
Last Saturday night I was lucky enough to see Carl Barron's new comedy show on the Gold Coast. Such a funny, funny guy.  It was a brilliant night and I laughed through the whole show. Definitely worth seeing the show even with the absolute chaos of driving through the Gold Coast traffic with the Blues Festival on the same night!! Thank goodness Hubby drove us down and dropped us off so I didn't have to attempt to find a carpark!!!
Also making me happy is my new set-top box winter cover! 
Squeaky doing a great impersonation of a sloth!
Hope you are all having a wonderful Monday...
And an even better week.... 

11 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, that bell is a real treasure! I love reading your blog, you really grab life with both hands. x

marina said...

what lovely info about the needle bell, sounds like you had a lovely week. Love your set top box cover. Bet it keeps it cosy!

Vicki said...

My mum had a bell gauge like that and so I recognised yours immediately :)

Fiona said...

My granny had one of those bells... sadly I never kept it... grrrr.... lovely post...
Hugz

shez said...

i have never seen one of those gauges before,its rather cute,lovely hearing from yout mum,lovely post teresa.xx

Susan said...

As always - Teresa - another lovely post.

Allie said...

What treasures from your mum - love that knitting gauge, how lovely that you know more about it now! Cute kitty pic, lol...your son is so handsome!

KAYLEE said...

You certainly had lots to be happy about yesterday Teresa. Kate is a big Carl Barron fan too. Lovely pressies from your Mum, the bell sure is a treasure and different, I have never seen them before.

Mrs Dibble said...

Lovely things!!...my granny had one of those bell shaped knitting needle thingies.....I can smell her cane knitting basket!!!

frankleetravels said...

Love your blog, isn't Google wonderful for finding out "stuff", looks like you may have polished the bell too. Love you so much Mum

Lynda said...

What a great present to receive. Haven't seen one of those bells before.