Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesday Treasures

It's Tuesday again, and today I'm joining Melody's Tuesday Treasures again with somewhat of a long story to tell.
I hope one day my kids and even maybe my Grandkids will read some of the stories in my blog book and discover things they didn't know about me and our family. This is one of those stories that they should know....
Be warned, this could be a long story.....
About 11 years ago, unfortunately some of my memory of this event is a little fuzzy... My Mum went into hospital for a fairly minor operation. She went to a small private hospital on the north side of Brisbane, just over an hours drive from where I live. She was adamant that I should come to the hospital and stay with her. My Mum has "feelings" about things and this she was very insistent upon... that I should be there with her, and definitely be there when she came back out of surgery. I told her I would be there. I remember I was doing some hand quilting on a very large quilt at the time, and as my Mum loves butterflies, and I was there with her at the hospital, I quilted some butterflies in the block I was working on. 
The surgery took longer than it should, but eventually she came back out and was recovering back in her bed. She was very sore and in a lot of pain. Now my Mum has a very strong threshold for pain, so I was a little worried, but the doctor assured me she was okay. Eventually I packed up and made the long drive home, although still worried that the pain Mum was experiencing didn't seem to be getting any better. 
Later that night, actually about 1 a.m. in the morning...I got a phone call from the hospital. Mum was still in agony and they were taking her back into surgery to see what was wrong. I asked the doctor if I should drive back to the hospital, and he said "No".. things would be fine. I got off the phone and my husband,  who also gets these "feelings" when something is wrong, told me in no uncertain terms to get myself to the hospital. So I immediately dressed and started the hour long drive back to the hospital in the wee hours of the morning. About half an hour into the trip, right near the city, I got a phone call from the hospital. It was the doctor and he was asking me how soon I could get there.. Things had gone wrong and Mum was in a very bad way... What I didn't know until later, is that in the operation they had perforated the bowel and my Mum had peritonitis, renal failure, and more...They were transporting her to another, larger, hospital that had an Intensive Care Unit. 
When I got to the hospital, I parked right in behind the ambulance that was taking my Mum. The doctor basically told me I could go to my Mum and give her a kiss... It was quite possibly a kiss "goodbye:" 
I didn't even recognise my Mum... she had tubes running out of her everywhere and her whole body had swollen up and she looked so different. It was heartbreaking.
I followed right behind the ambulance, flying through the streets of Brisbane, still very early in the morning. None of this seemed real. When I got to the ICU I was basically there for hours without anyone coming to see me or tell me what was going on. My Mum and Dad had been separated for years, but still remain great friends and it was my Dad who was the next to get to the hospital. He was my rock and over the next week that Mum was in the ICU, he was there every day making sure my sister (who had joined me there) and I were okay and were eating meals throughout the day. You don't know the strength of some people until they are put under severe pressure, but my Dad was a tower of strength and I don't know how I would have coped if he hadn't been there. My husband too was amazing. I just left him with the kids and I don't even know what or how he coped with work and the boys... My boss just said to take as much time as I needed and everything else just fell into place.  I don't remember much of those days, all that I remember is that we were just there with Mum, talking to her, holding her hand, brushing her hair, laughing and telling stories, and crying lots too.Slowly, after about a week, my Mum came back to us... and continued to get stronger everyday. I can't believe how close we came to losing her.
If you're still with me, I am going to get to the crucifix..... This cross was on the walls of the IC unit right next to every bed in there. My uncle (my Mum's younger brother) came to visit one day with his partner. His partner worked at the Salvation Army where they made those crucifix's and supplied them to the hospital.. the exact ones. When I heard this I asked if I could get one for myself and my Mum and I think my sister.may have one also. 
Every time I look at this cross I remember that time in our lives when we came so close to losing my Mum. I remember how precious life is and how we must remember to tell our loved ones how much we love them every day. I also remember to be eternally grateful that this was not her time to go. 
Wow... I remembered more of that than I thought!
So this beautiful cross is on the wall of my bedroom and I see it every day and I am grateful every day that I still have my Mum. It is a real treasure of mine, along with my Mum... she definitely is a treasure as well. 
Thanks for listening and letting me get that story out... I'd forgotten so much of it until now. I guess you try to forget the sad things in life as best you can. But I don't think my boys even remember that time in our lives as they were both so young, and it is something they should know.
Thanks so much Melody for hosting Tuesday Treasures again today..


20 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful post Teresa and I am so glad your Mum recovered ok. It must have been so scary for you and your sister and hats off to your Dad for doing what needed to be done....be there for his girls. I am sure you are very grateful every day for your Mum and Your Husbands "feelings'. The crucifix is beautiful. I get my blog printed in to book form too so my kids will have a record of memories and stories about myself and our family that sometimes you just forget to tell.

Fiona said...

A beautiful heartfelt post Teresa and deserves to be written down.

I watched Australian Story last night about a ladies cancer miracle but I think your mum also received a miracle and the crucifix is a wonderful reminder.

Hugs - Fee X

De said...

Teresa that is a beautiful post. So glad that your Mum made it through.

marina said...

A touching story Teresa and a blessing that your mum survived. We do need to remember our history to appreciate the things we have.

Sunnybec said...

Oh Teresa what a lovely story and with a happy ending, I am so glad your Mum recovered. I often wonder who we know to do certain things at certain times... but I am glad we do. Hugs

Melody said...

I am so glad your mum recovered and what a terribly worrying thing for you all to go through. I'm so glad you told this story as it is always good to be reminded to treasure our loved ones.

Sandi said...

Now you have done it...where are those tissues....lovely story, sniff sniff...xxx

Fiona said...

so lovely to read your story... mums are very special ....
Hugz

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful story. We never know what will happen, in an instant someone can be taken from us. Thanks for sharing such a personal story.

Lynny said...

Teresa thankyou for sharing your story with us, Mum's are so precious, they leave a big hole when they are not with us, they are a real treasure....hugs

shez said...

Oh Teresa this post bought me to tears for a number of reasons,because you nearly lost your mum,because your dad was so strong for you all,because your husband was your rock at home and also because of the special bond you have with your mum,oh i am so glad this story had a lovely ending.xx

KAYLEE said...

WOW Teresa I have tears in my eyes, how very sad for you and your family, I am so glad for you that your Mother made it through that terrible time. Hugs Kaylee xx

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, brings a tear to my eye
Pammy

Wendy B said...

such a positive outcome, thank God!!! Was it NorthWest Hospital??? That's where my son was born!!!
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story
XXX sugary hugs
Wendy :O)

Nicole said...

That is such a beautiful story and that crucifix is such a beautiful reminder of God's love and healing. Thanks for sharing your story. We really need to cherish the people in our lives.

Nana said...

It´s a sad and still happy story and probably each household should have a cruzifix at home.

By the way: I really like your blog.

Nana

Marilyn said...

Thank you again for your reminder to show our loved ones how important they are to us. So pleased all worked out well for your Mum and your family.
I just spent a wonderful few days back where I grew up and where we married. It was a time full of memories both happy and sad. Especially sad because my Mum didnt get to celebrate her 40th wedding anniversary as we have just done - let alone be there for our own celebration. So good that your Mum knows how special she is to you.
xx

Susan said...

Another beautiful story Teresa. I really can understand why your blog posts are little snippets of your life.

Merilyn said...

What a lovely post Teresa! I'm glad things turned out well for your Mum!!

Dianne said...

I am wiping away tears. A beautiful story behind the cross - our Mums are so special!!