Friday, February 3, 2012

Labneh Cheese

Labneh cheese is a Lebanese cream cheese.. and very delicious!
A few people have asked me how to make Labneh cheese and I thought I would do a quick post on it for you today.....
You will not believe how easy it is!!!
You will need to line a sieve with a piece of cheesecloth or very open weave fabric. Make sure your cheesecloth is perfectly clean.
Mix some salt (to taste) into a few cups of plain or Greek yoghurt... The amount of yoghurt doesn't matter. I prefer to use Greek yoghurt for the taste. You can use bought yoghurt for this or home made.
Now pour the yoghurt into the cheesecloth and place the sieve over a bowl.
Wrap the cheesecloth over the top and tie or twist the ends. You are going to drain the yoghurt and the liquid that comes out of it is called the whey. If you choose to keep the whey, you can use it in cooking in place of milk for scones or cakes etc. I've heard you can also use it to make ricotta cheese... so I will have to look into that.
Okay... to speed up the process of draining the whey... Put a plate on top of your yoghurt and something heavy on top of that. Now you can pop it into the fridge for at least 24 hours. I found I like to leave mine for a bit longer than that to get the right consistency in the cheese that I like. You can drain the whey out of the bowl over the time. You can also hang the ball of yoghurt in the cheesecloth over a bowl and just let the whey drain into the bowl like that... but as it is so hot here where I live... I like to put the whole lot in the fridge.
Once you've let it sit for the 24 hours you will get a cheese like this!
Now you can add whatever herbs and spices you like. You can use it as cheese spread on your sandwiches, or as a dip, or in pieces in a salad.
This batch I marinated in a bit of olive oil, with garlic pieces and pepper.
I have also added chilli flakes and that was delicious too.
With my latest batch of cheese, I am going to stir in some chopped fresh chives and eat it with some crackers. It's also lovely with fresh tomato on bread. The possibilities are endless.
Mixed with tuna is another thing I want to try....
However you choose to eat it... I'm sure you will love it....and I bet you didn't know it was that easy to make!! I will never buy cream cheese again!!
Let me know how you get on and what you've added to your cheese!
Have a great weekend,


15 comments:

Christine said...

Thank you I am going to make some...

Michelle Ridgway said...

That looks fabulous Teresa. Will have to try that one.

Rebecka said...

Thank you Teresa for blogging about your process of making cheese. It has to be healthy! This great! I would like to make some cheese with dried fruit like cranberries.

Fiona said...

Thanks Teresa.... does look much easier than I thought... I will be giving it a go too....
Hugz

Scottish Nanna said...

Sounds good to me I will be giving it a try it looks yummy.I love all cheese's.
Hugs Mary,xx

Marilyn said...

Thank you for letting us know how easy it is. The cheese looks delicious.

De said...

Looks great and a jar of those yummy marinated figs for the weight! :)

Helen said...

How clever you are. Sounds delicious.

Vicki ♥ said...

Thanks heaps for doing a terrific tutorial and it looks super easy and so now I just have to try it :) Hugs Vicki x

Karen said...

Very clear instructions. Nowhere near as complicated as I thought!

*karendianne. said...

wow. That's amazing!!!

Noela said...

That is so easy Teresa. Will have to try all the different flavours you suggested. Thanks for the tutorial.

Roseanne said...

Wow that look great. Did you take the cloth off the cheese before you put the plate on it or leave the cloth on?

KAYLEE said...

Yummy, thankyou Teresa for sharing this receipe I will definately be giving this a go.

Melody said...

I love this cheese and know I know how to make it. Fabulous, many thanks for the tutorial.