Monday, December 19, 2011

What Makes Me Happy 19/12/2011

Making me happy this week is making the rumballs for Christmas.
We have been making them for years... the same recipe, lovely and easy and delicious.
The boys have made them in the past most years, but this year it's just me making them and now they're made, it feels like I'm a bit closer to being ready for the big day!
Just 6 easy to remember ingredients....
1 cup of coconut
1 cup of sultanas
6 weetbix, crushed
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tin condensed milk
rum
All you have to do is mix all the ingredients together and then roll small balls of the mixture into extra coconut... and that's it! Usually here in Queensland it's so hot, that I have to put the mixture in the freezer or fridge for awhile before I roll them into shape - makes it a bit easier and less messier.
This year I tried a friends idea to put butterscotch schnapps into the mixture instead of the rum.... and they are delicious!!! A bit of a twist on them, especially if you don't like rum.
Hope you are all having a Happy Monday and I hope you are all prepared for Christmas.
Enjoy the week!

15 comments:

Fiona said...

You know I've never made rum balls but you make it sound so easy... perhaps I will give them a try..
Hugz

Jeanette said...

Yumm. I used to use weetbix but switched to chocolate biscuits. So much more yummier. :) Already made the rum balls but i'm now keen to try the schnapps. :) lol. Hugs,

Susan said...

Best use of weet bix or its variants I have ever heard = otherwise they are only fit for the bin! And if we are trying schnapps - what about some Baileys??

shez said...

yummy Teresa they look so good and thankyou for the receipe.xx

Melody said...

This sounds so delicious, love the idea of the butterscotch schnapps.

Bev C said...

Hello Teresa,

Happy Monday,I have enjoyed reading your Monday postings. All the best for the festive season and whatever is ahead in 2012.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

pinewood said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. I will definetley give these a try.
I love the Santa plate.

rozhearts said...

Hi Teresa, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas. I have not been around for awhile the family has kept me very busy but I have promised myself the New Year will give me some time for ME.
Thanks for this recipe I have never made rum balls before but will try these.
See you in the New Year.
(((HUGS))) Roz.

Michelle Ridgway said...

LOVE rumballs.....I actually have not eaten all my Mum's yet. It is so hard leaving them alone. Mum makes hers with crushed arrowroot biscuits. Amazing how we all do things differently. Bet they don't last long in your house either.

Dianne said...

Hi Teresa, The butterscotch schnapps sounds like a good idea for a change. Enjoy!! I have once again thoroughly enjoyed reading you 'what makes me happy' posts this year. They make me happy :-) Di.

Val said...

They sound delicious. I love the Santa plate :)

Mistea said...

These look almost healthy - my family always made the recipe with crushed Marie biscuits - very sweet.
Enjoy your butterscotch balls and your Christmas.
Love Santa.

Cath Ü said...

I never knew they were that easy to make... I will make no rum balls... LOL

Cath Ü

Merilyn said...

It wouldn't be Christmas without Rum Balls!!! Thanks for the receipe, it's much easier that I thought!!!

KAYLEE said...

Hi Teresa, you should try my rum ball recipe it is 100 times nicer the the one made on Weet Bix, I promise you. I never knew what all the fuss was over with rum balls I didn't like them at all until many many years ago a friend gave me her recipe using a sponge cake instead of the Weet Bix, they are so soft and yummy, you will never make the Weet Bix ones again :-)Merry Christmas Teresa and best wishes for a happy, safe and healthy 2012.