Monday, December 12, 2011

What Makes Me Happy 12/12/2011

What's making me happy this week.... vintage Christmas decorations!
12 gorgeous "Shiny Brite" glass ornaments from the US......
plus 3 beautiful hand painted glass ornaments. These are from the 1950's and from Poland.
I've found myself a wonderful small wrought iron Christmas tree... very fancy and decorative... which I think will be perfect for these vintage decorations.More lovely mail... this time including some wonderful vintage pieces for making Christmas cards and decorations.
A surprise present in the mail.....a beautifully decorated notebook and gorgeous Pink Ribbon pen from my wonderful blogging friend Illene... Thank you so much Illene... I love them and it was such a nice surprise to open it.... they are already in my handbag with the start of a new list of things to do!!!!Another surprise from Chooky....
I am in an Advent Christmas present swap with another blogger who is currently cut off with flooding in Moree. Her parcel from me is stuck at the post office and her parcel for me is stuck at her house, with no way to get any parcels in or out due to the floods and cut roads. When Chooky heard about this, she sent me a little parcel of some of her gorgeous photographic cards... how lovely is that?? I love "Just Because" presents and this was very unexpected. Thanks Chooky... You know how much I love your cards...

Now I have had this newspaper clipping up on my notice board for some years now... the paper has even changed colour. It's all about a young woman, Hailey, who started a blog documenting things she was grateful for. She did this to help herself get through depression. Every day for a whole year she posted a photo of something and gave thanks. I have loved this idea for so long and even bought myself a Grateful Journal last year... but it never happened.
In the latest Womans Weekly there was a story of another couple of women who had also taken up the challenge to do something similar. Hailey, the woman in the original newspaper clipping was the inspiration. There is now a documentary being put together about this....

365 Grateful - the Documentary is a film about uncovering what happens when ordinary people unlock the remarkable powers of gratitude.

This documentary was born out of a project created by Hailey - the '365 Grateful Project'. In early 2008, in an effort to fight depression, Hailey started a year long photographic project which involved taking one Polaroid photo a day of something she felt grateful for. Initially this was a chore but eventually it became a delight.

The discipline of having to look for the good things that happened every day changed her life in so many ways. Hailey found not only her marriage, spiritual life and health improved, but this project accidentally, wondrously spread and affected the lives of many others.

While doing her project Hailey posted it on flickr. Gradually others began to do their own versions and over time 365 Grateful went viral. The 365 Grateful Project has been featured in newspaper articles and magazines, radio and blogs around the world. Many of those touched by doing their own version of the 365 Grateful Project have written to Hailey about the impact it has had on their lives.

‘365 Grateful – the Documentary’ will cover Hailey’s inspiring personal journey and we meet extraordinary people whose lives have been impacted by gratitude. (Taken from http://www.365grateful.com/)

I am so happy they are doing this.... I can't explain how, but the changes I have found in the last 2 years just from doing my "What makes me happy" post each week has been phenomenal. Looking for those things that make you happy, smile, connect, and be positive has had an impact on, not only myself, but also on my family and everything and everyone I come into contact with. I have not given up on my quest to do a similar 365 Grateful Project...maybe even next year.

Something to think about!

Lastly, being an avid fan (Thanks to Jack!!!) of the game Angry Birds....

This just made me laugh out loud......

Happy Monday everyone.....
Hope you have a fantastic week....


13 comments:

Sandi said...

ok, you have finally got me - speachless - what an amazing story, Its so easy to forget the little things that when combined mean everything to us...Very inspitational...yeah even for me..lol

Chookyblue...... said...

so pleased the cards arrived.........you girls will have a great time when you get your parcels to open..........

shez said...

What a lovely post Teresa and how lovely of chooky

Susan said...

Another beautiful story and I love those decorations - they remind me of the ones we had at home when I was a child (eons ago).

katrien said...

I also love thoose decorations.
Lovely mail youve got.
Have a nice time.

Marilyn said...

Lovely post Teresa. What an inspiring story from Hailey. Thanks for sharing it.
Love those ornaments, they are so sparkly. Look forward to seeing them on your tree.

Merilyn said...

Lovely post Teresa! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the documentary! A very inspiring story, thankyou for telling us about it!
And your vintage tree decorations, just love them, especially the ones from Poland, wonderful!!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love your decorations and your wrought iron tree sounds yummo! Bless Chooky for her kindness so you are not left out while we are ripping in to our pressies(or is that just me!)It is so typically Aussie to have some one caught in some kind of weather experience somewhere. Thank you for sharing Hailey's story. Gratitude really does help open your eyes to the beauty in simple things and moments and having a record to reflect on when you are having 'one of them days' helps you back on track. Lovely post Teresa!

Kerri said...

A very beautiful post Teresa. It makes you stop and think. Very inspiring.

Love all your goodies and decorations too.

Tatkis said...

Christmas glass decorations are just adorable!
I love to read your posts, they make me feel happy too :)

Hugs,
Tatyana

Wendy B said...

Oh Teresa, you too have been bitten by the bug....I mean 'bird'....my son laughs at my obsession!!!!! I love that piccie.
And 365 days of gratitude...what a fantastic idea....I'm going to post it to our CORES coordinator which helps others recognise suicide interventions. I know I've 'mentally' taken it on this year, with all the surgery and not knowing what the future brings...there's still plenty to be thankful for!
love ya...sugary hugs
Wend :O) xo

Mistea said...

Beautiful decorations - my mother has lots of the old glass ones that my great aunt gave to us.
Love the story behind the grateful project. Will go take a look.
Thanks for sharing.

rosie said...

Teresa, this is such a wonderful concept.. I wish all people who suffered from depression knew about it..
Thankyou for posting about it..