Thursday, November 10, 2011

Teddy Bears Picnic

Today for Melody's Teddy Bears Picnic, I thought I would send along some of my "rescues"...
I found this little bear at a Swap Meet in Toowoomba a few years back. The stall belonged to an Antique shop dealer and she had a few little bears for sale.
This little one, from the 1960's, just begged to be taken home. I walked past him a few times and in the end I went back to the stall and brought him home with me. I just couldn't resist his little forlorn, much-loved face. He's missing his nose and a bit of fur here and there, but the colour of his fur is still very good, as are his paw pads.
I remember the stall holder had lots of lovely antique boot button eyes for teddies as well, and they also came home with me.
Another rescue are these 2 cupie dolls. A lady came to one of our stitch alongs, and was selling some old dolls. These 2 caught my eye and jumped into my bag, and headed for home.
There is something so cute about cupie dolls and I had lots of them when I was a kid. These 2 are in very good condition and have the cutest little faces.
Now although this teddy isn't able to go to the picnic today... I still wanted to share this "to be made" teddy. This wonderful package was sent to me from my lovely blogging buddy Mary, (Scottish Nanna). She has sent me lots of teddy patterns, but also this complete kit to make a lovely "sleeping" teddy... complete with eyelashes and all! Thank you so much Mary... this was very generous and thoughtful of you... and I can't wait to make her!! How lovely is that?
I wonder who else is coming to the picnic today.
It's the perfect day for a picnic ... I hope it is where you are as well!

15 comments:

sunny said...

I'm so glad you run a resuce shelter for bears. I'm sure he loves his new home. Cute cupies, too!

Melody said...

I'm so glad you rescued these little cuties, especially the sweet little teddy.
Mary's parcel is wonderful.
Thank you for playing today.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thank goodness he found a home with you and with so much love. I love your cupie dolls. I used to love the ones on the canes at the show. Lovely gift from Mary and that ted will be so cute.

Karen said...

It is so good they are rescued. What a waste, otherwise. Good luck making the next project.

Jeanette said...

The bear is adorable. So glad you rescued him. The cupie dolls are so cute.The gift from Mary is lovely. Hugs,

katrien said...

What a sweeties.

Hilachas said...

How lovely that you rescued the yellow bear and made it possible for him to come to the picnic along with the cupie dolls. The bear is no longer forlorn.

Briar Rose said...

Such sweet little picnicers Teresa, I always loved Cupies too, and now thanks to Mary you have another little bear to make to join a future picnic, cheers R.

Sandi said...

How georgous is the teddy you rescued and the faces on the cupie dolls...so happy and a little bit mischivous too. I cant wait to see sleeping teddy made...he's just needs to be made...so he can come to picnics too.

marina said...

lovely ted! He looks well loved. I love the cupie dolls.
Won't be long and you will have a new visitor for a teddy bear's picnic.

shez said...

how lovely they are all going to the teddy bears picnic

Jane in Wales said...

What a sweet Ted! He will love the picnic.
Jane

Paula said...

What a nice little Teddy. Have fun at the picnic.

KAYLEE said...

You are very lucky Teresa, Is that "Dozey May" ? I have that pattern BUT have not made her yet. Cheers Kaylee

Merilyn said...

I'm glad you rescued the little forlorn teddy with no nose, how much happier is must be now!!! What a generous gift, love the little sleeping teddy, very cute!!!