Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday Treasures

On Sunday I did a post called "On My Shelf"... it was due to finding a great blog called Punky & Me and taking up the challenge of playing My Place and Yours..
When I decided on this shelf (or shelves rather!) to photograph, I discovered quite a bit of dust and started taking down each piece to dust... and then all the memories came flooding back.
Every piece on these shelves including the shelf itself... is precious and has a special meaning to me.
I knew it was perfect for this weeks "Tuesday Treasures"
Firstly the shelves were made for me by my Dad, many years ago, and I've talked about them here in an earlier post.
The top shelf holds a little olive green bear my sons gave me many moons ago. The little clock is a precious gift from my Grandmother when I was in my early 30's. The pink panther is one of the first things my husband gave me when we first started going out together... So he's about 25 years old. The second shelf holds some photos... The first is me when I was about 2 yrs old. I still remember the dress I was wearing.. it was blue and very cute.. I did have it for a few years but gave it to my sister for her girls. The second is a gorgeous frame my mum gave me called "Sarah's Angel"... then we have a photo of Jack as a baby and James when he was about 3 years old (both about 17 years ago). On the end is a beautiful hand painted glass and candle my brother gave me.
On the 3rd shelf is a cute little porcelain bag I bought due to my love of bags and roses. Another little silver frame of the boys. The box is covered in beautiful rose paper and I made it absolutely years ago. It holds a very weird assortment of "treasures"......
My old name badge when I worked at the National Bank (has to be at least 15 years old)... a baby bracelet with a bluebird and my name engraved on it...a gold engraved lipstick case that belonged to my Mum when she was a young girl...a jade bracelet my Grandmother gave me from her trip to China...packets of my boys baby teeth (I know... creepy...creepy - but I just couldn't throw them away)....2 pink and blue wishbones from my 21st Birthday party that my Mum saved and painted for the occasion...a precious bookmark of an Australian eucalyptus tree leaf that my brother made out of leather and painted when he was a teenager...and my garter from when I was married (25 years ago).
What an eclectic collection!!! The boys found their teeth in this box when they were little, which lead to "the toothfairy isn't real" speech.... and the end of their childhood beliefs (Santa and the Easter Bunny were the next questions!!!)
On the bottom shelf is this wonderful musical carousel with a bear, monkey and clown riding the horses. It was given to James on his Christening from his Grandparents (fathers side) and it still plays music and turns around. The little shoe, for as long as I can remember, used to sit on a little shelf in my Grandmothers house. She gave it to me and I believe it is hand painted. Underneath it says Italy and a very early date that just can't be true... I wish I knew the story behind it...
Beside that is a little porcelain clown jewellery box. My first job when I was 18 years old was with the National Bank. When I worked at the Lutwyche branch I met a wonderful Italian girl, Rita, and we became great friends. When I left this branch to work in another, this is what she gave me. I've always loved it. Beside them is another little jewellery box that my Grandmother gave me and a little handpainted box I made many years ago.
Wow, long-winded, but it felt good going down all those Memory Lanes and remembering so many people that have meant so much to me and still do....and the wonderful treasures they have given me over the years.
Thanks to Melody for hosting "Tuesday Treasures" again this week...
I wonder who else will share their treasures today.
Have a great day!!


14 comments:

Pat from FL and MI said...

What a fun post! Some things are sure worth saving and dusting off once in a while. Memory Lane.

shez said...

Teresa what a beautiful post down memory lane,precious

Fiona said...

That shelf holds so many wonderful memories.. lovely looking at them all with you....
Hugz

KAYLEE said...

I love your shelf Teresa and all the wonderful treasures you have displayed.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a lovely treasure trove on your special shelf and made by your Dad as well. I can see why all this pieces are special to you. Great post and I enjoyed my trip down memory lane with you.

Briar Rose said...

I also enjoyed your lovely post Teresa,you have beautiful memories with each special treasure. thank you for sharing them with us, Cheers R.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

Hi Theresa, I haven't been here for a while, time is just disappearing on me, but it has been so lovely catching up on your blog, and seeing what you have been up to ~ a great read thanks!

Dianne said...

Thank you for sharing all your little treasures. A lovely post. We have a couple of things in common - working for the National Bank (started with them in 1971 - off and on til 1982) and a blue bird bracelet from babyhood. Definitely didn't keep the kid's teeth tho, when they were losing them it freaked me out. LOL.

Bev C said...

Hello Teresa,

A lot of fun memories on your shelf. I ended up burying some teeth in the garden, what else was I to do with them. It will give someone something to find one day!!! Our Bonnie works for NAB.Thanks for sharing your treasures and dusting them all.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Melody said...

Fascinating, I feel I know quite a lot more about you now.

Vintage Cate said...

Teresa, what an absolute abundance of Treasures- and all so beautiful. The memories are as precious as the items aren't they. I confess I have two of my children's baby teeth and a lock of hair from each of them tucked away in the box our wedding rings came in (forty years ago) - mothers!!

Merilyn said...

Nice to hear the stories behind the items you treasure!!!!

Mistea said...

Wonderful treasures with beautiful memories - Not sure about all that dusting though?
Enjoy your treasures.

Tatkis said...

Very cute shelf - not overcrowded and lovely items!

Hugs,
Tatyana