Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween Fun and an update.....

Even though we don't celebrate Halloween here, I have always wanted to have a go at carving a pumpkin. Every year I say I'm going to do it, and then Halloween has been and gone...
This year I decided it was time to have a go.....
Boy I'm glad I did.. I didn't know just how much fun it was and how great they look at night with a candle inside.
He's sitting here in all his glory next to my little witch and a few Halloween things I've made over the years.
I had no idea how difficult it would be to carve the pumpkin, so I got some great tips from this site HERE. I also found some wonderful templates HERE.. for the actual carving. I chose the face aptly named "Happy Jack"
I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.
This is another little Halloween project I've made.. only a much cuter version of the carved pumpkin I think!
Now for some updates..These blocks are from my Dear Jane quilt. I started it last year and have a total of 20 blocks made so far (there are only 169!!!! - and then there are the triangles around the border!!!!) The lovely Vicki (of The Pickledish Patch) and Dawn (of As Sweet as Cinnamon) have started a wonderful blog called Janiac's Unite. This is to help people like me, get their enthusiasm back and continue making blocks for this quilt on a regular basis... all to reach our goals of finishing the quilt.
If you're interested in joining up...go HERE for all the information you need.
These 7 blocks are from the top row.....
I love this quilt and really enjoy tackling each of the little 4 inch blocks.. I really hope this motivates me to keep going with it.

I would also like to thank all my blogging buddies who left such lovely comments on Jacks achievements at his Sports Awards night..... THANK YOU... I really appreciate all the wonderful things you said and Jack has read them all too.
An update on his Queensland trials.... He tried out against 11 other boys last weekend in the triple jump, but this is as far as he got. I'm so proud of him for getting this far... and for giving it his all and trying SO hard to go as far as he could. It's been a fun, exciting journey this year for him with sport and I will definitely miss it now that his schooling years are coming to an end.
Well that's me up to date...
Hope you've all had a great week and have an even better weekend!!!!


14 comments:

katrien said...

Hi,i love your halloween things.I have never carve a pumkin yet.
Your DJ blocks looks great.I started some years ago with it and stopped by 25 blocks,so i maked a mini jane.But maybe some day i start again if i have more time.

Have a nice weekend.

shez said...

Teresa what a wonderful job you did of the pumpkin it looks fantastic and you have been very busy with projects,well done.
I think Jack will still keep you all busy with his sports there is so many groups that he can get into,well done Jack for getting to the trials.

Jeanette said...

Love you pumpkin. I was going to get one & have a go. Maybe i still will tomorrow. Love the Halloween project to. So cute. Your Jane blocks look great. Hugs,

Joy said...

Love your jack-o-lantern .... I've always wanted to do one of those too lol.
Love n hugs,
Joy :o)

Merilyn said...

Good for you in trying to carve a pumpkin, and you did a great job too!!! I agree with a lit candle inside they look pretty amazing!
I will follow the Janiac's blog and try and get going with the DJ, I have only made a test block a couple of years ago to see how working on such a small block would suit, I then went and started collecting fabric but that really is as far as I have gone, so maybe this could be the turning point! Probably after Barbara Brackman's Civil War blocks are finished, I'll try and get into it, because I have thought about making this quilt for the longest time!!!!! Thanks for the 'motivation' links, if I keep seeing them, I'll have to start making them LOL!!!!!

Sue W ♥ said...

Love the pumpkin, I don't know where you find the time to do all of these things and keep us up to date each day, glad you joined us Janiac's, should be fun and congratulations to Jack he has done well and should be pleased with what he has achieved

Susan said...

Love your real pumpkin and especailly love the pumpkin bag! Sorry for Jack that he missed out on the next big step - but I am sure this is not the end of the athletics road!!

Karen said...

I like the idea of your carved pumpkin. It looks great!
The little pumpkin basket you have made is gorgeous. How big is it and what pattern did you use?
Good luck with your Dear Jane. I am not game enough to take that on!

Cattinka said...

I like your Halloween decoration, and keep going with your DJ Blocks!!!
Good thing you found a group you can make blocks with, they will inspire you to continue.
KATRIN W.

rosie said...

Just catching up with all you have been up to.. Jack is awesome..
Love love love your little owl pot holders..
and, I loved the story behind your little wall shelves...

Mistea said...

Lovely Jack o lantern especially with the candle burning.
There is a house in my neighbourhood that always decorates for Halloween - such a fun celebration.
Pretty little Jane blocks, I'll just watch.

marina said...

love your pumpkin and other halloween decorations.
Good luck with your dear Jane I so admire people doing this quilt. It just amazes me.
A supportive group will get you there!

Margaret said...

Just had to come over from Scottish Nanna's blog to see more of the owls, they are so nice and look like a fun project.

Miss Muggins said...

I love the pumpkin, it does look amazing with the candle. I saw in the supermarkets this year pumpkins marketed as carving pumpkins! I think halloween in on the rise in Oz!