Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesdays Treasures

It is still Tuesday isn't it????
Just made it to join in with Melody and her Tuesdays Treasures.
This week I want to share with you this little fluffy pink cardigan.When I was little my Grandmother knitted this for me. It's only tiny, so I must have been about 6 or 7 years old (which makes it about 40 years old!!!!)
It is made in the softest, pink mohair with pale pink pearl buttons all the way down the front and I loved it so much.
She was a wonderful knitter and made all her Grandkids knitted jumpers and cardigans of every colour and size.
I kept this cardigan very carefully for years in a cardboard box with a clear plastic top. Inside I kept a little cake of pink soap in the shape of a cute little puppy with it.
I finally parted with it when I realised I wasn't going to have any little baby girls to wear it. I gave it to a very dear friend of mine for her daughter to wear. I couldn't bear the thought of it just sitting there, not being worn.
Quite a few years later, this wonderful friend asked me if I would like the little cardigan back... she knew how much it meant to me.
The box and the soap are long gone, but I have this wonderful, sentimental piece of my childhood back and it is still in perfect condition.
Can you see how soft and fluffy it is? It is so beautiful to hold and feel and wear.
My Grandmother meant the world to me and I'm so glad I have this wonderful treasure that she lovingly made for me. Who knows... maybe there will be a another little Granddaughter one day who will wear it!
I'm off to see who else is playing along today! Thanks so much Melody for hosting Tuesdays Treasures again and giving me this lovely trip down Memory Lane!!
Happy Tuesday!!!

20 comments:

Melody said...

This is such a beautiful thing to still have. So pretty and just wonderful that it is linked to happy memories.

Fiona said...

That is so sweet... it just amazes me that you still have it....so special...
hugz

Joy said...

How lovely that you still have it - and in such perfect condition. It certainly is pretty, so beautifully knitted. Teresa it's a treasure indeed :o).
Love n hugs
Joy :o)

sunny said...

It's beautiful. How awesome that you shared it, and then got it back, along with all your wonderful memories of your grandmother.

shez said...

what a beautiful treasure Theresa

dogsmom said...

That was very sweet - both the giving it away to be loved, and the return because it was loved.

I remember those tiny pearl buttons very well from my own special sweaters.

Jenny said...

Wow Teresa, you amaze me the way you keep your treasures so beautifully. Imagine your grandmother knowing that 40 years later you would still have this cardigan that she knitted, and it is in such beautiful condition... what a treasured possession it must be... Big hugs to you!
Jen xo

JENNIFER said...

That's a beautiful sweater Teresa, it's so nice that you were able to get it back :o) Have a nice day! hugs Jennifer

katrien said...

Whaaawww?unbelievebel that it is still so beautifull after all this years.
Have a nice time.

Sheila said...

It is beautiful Teresa and such a wonderful memory of your childhood and your dear grandmother and it is wonderful you have it back so maybe someday another little girl can proudly wear it ,thanks for sharing .

Teresa Felgueiras said...

If I hadn't read your post I would think the cardigan was brand new. It's so fluffy and absolutely beautiful. E real treasure that your grandmother left you.

Merilyn said...

How wonderful to have that beautiful little cardigan Teresa, and to think it came back to you too!!! I have a dress my grandmother made when I was a little girl, maybe I should share too LOL!!!! A lovely post!!

marina said...

Lovely treasure.... What a wonderful friend that looked after it as much as you did and thought to return it.
You never know, those of us living in a male dominated household may get all little girls when grandies come around.

retdairyqueen said...

SO SO special
You are amazing I love that you keep these beautiful memories from your childhood

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your little pink "cardy" is simply gorgeous and I can imagine how sweet you would have looked wearing it. Being especially hand knitted for you would make it all the more of a treasure. It's lovely to know it's on hand waiting for the next little girl to love.

rosie said...

So nice that you have kept the cardy after all this time.. shows that you respected the special maker and the memories that went with it..

Susan said...

Just beautiful - I love hearing about your treasures. Hopefully you will have a few special granddaughters to wear it and maybe one of them will pass it on as well - just imagine that!

Margaret said...

The cardigan is so soft it looks more like Angora Wool. Treasures are really that aren't they

shirley said...

This is such a lovely little cardigan, and is it Angora. They was the softest wool to knit, but the fibres got up your nose.

How nice for you to have it back.

Mum said...

I couldn't believe you still had this little jumper, Annette had the lemon one, weren't they beautiful, then I read you gave it to a friend, my heart sank (I was thinking of grand-daughters too) but you have it back, that is wonderful. Love Mum