Saturday, July 9, 2011

What A Week!!!

This week has been a busy one! School Holidays, friends visiting from up North, not just one day stitching with the girls, but two!!! and learning new crafts!
On Tuesday we decided to do something other than stitching our Tis the Season blocks. From the same book by Natalie Bird, we made the Christmas Joy Scrapbook Album. The book is covered in fabric, felt and one of the small stitcheries.
We had to make the cover and the pages and it was something new to us... but also a lot of fun.
Helen and I with our finished covers.
Tereasa with hers (sorry it's a blurry photo)
All 3 finished albums!
On the day I made a start on the inside pages. I've now finished my album... so I'll show you that soon.
On Thursday Jenny came to visit.. so what a great excuse to get together again and do some more sewing!!! Jenny and Helen were working on some lovely shabby chic toaster covers.
Meanwhile I've been admiring Jenny's bags made from 2 1/2" Bali fabric strips. I'd bought the pattern and some fabric and I had a go (with help from Jenny) at making a bag. This is the start of the bag. My pattern and instructions are actually different to Jenny's bags and I now want to try her method as well.

I was pretty happy though, I managed to make 2 bags... now all I have to do is make some handles and they will be finished.
Also, earlier this week, I spent the day with my youngest son and we took off into the city. We had 3 things we were determined to do... Go to the Pancake Manor for lunch, use up our last free burrito vouchers at Cactus Republic and (finally) ride the Brisbane Ferris Wheel (preferably at night).
It was a gorgeous Winter(???) day and the weather was perfect. I just love our city.... so much to see and do.
The Pancake Manor has been going for 30 years and it's in the most beautiful old Church. My husband and I have been visiting this place since before the boys were born, and being open 24 hours, you know you can always get a delicious meal, whatever the time of day or night.
The only thing that's changed, is they don't have the life size chess board anymore (and I think that's a real shame)
Of course the food was amazing... the pancakes are the best! and I just love their Swiss Caramel Shakes.
Later that night after checking out all the shops in the Myer Centre and the Mall, we made our way to Southbank... and the Cactus Republic... where we had their delicious burritos. I haven't managed to eat a whole one yet!!!
Did you notice what Jack is wearing??? It's winter, it's night and we are sitting outside, right near the Brisbane River... and he's still wearing a T-shirt! It really was a mild Winter night!
And we did get that ride on the Brisbane Wheel.... at night!!!
It was wonderful. The view was amazing!
I think our city is beautiful, but especially at night.
Wow, what a great week.
I will be back to show you my finished album and (hopefully) my finished Bali bags!
Hope you are having a great week too~

16 comments:

73mw said...

Your city is beautiful at night and the pancake manor looks fantastic. Can you point me in the right direction for the book and also the bag pattern - I love absolutely everything!!!!

shez said...

what a great post Theresa,and those books are amazing,well done

Merilyn said...

I agree Teresa, Brissy is beautiful at night!!! I have yet to go on the ferris wheel, it would give you a magic view from up there!!! The Pancake Manor looks wonderful, do they do savory ones too?!!!

Maree: said...

Your Scrap Albums look Great..Thanks for the City Tour should do it More Often Myself!
cheers

Chookyblue...... said...

the albums look fantastic.........what a great day in the city.........

Sheila said...

Interesting read , love the album cover as well as your bags ,what a neat idea . You do live in a beautiful city and the city at night looks amazing .

retdairyqueen said...

Love the scrapbook album
I would like to have a go at making one

Tatkis said...

Oh, you had a great time! Albums are so beautiful!
And night pictures are amazing (and we just need to visit a Pancake Manor!)

Hugs,
Tatyana

Cattinka said...

Thanks for taking us along, you really had a great week, and I love the bags you are working on,and the albums you created with your friends.
KATRIN W.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Teresa what a fantastic post...you have had a good few days...love the albums and bags...

Petal49 said...

My you did have a busy week. Love the bags and albums. Haven't been to Brisbane for a while but the Pankcake Manor looks like my kind of place and the view from the Wheel looks amazing. Will have to add it to my list of things to do.

Vicki said...

Wow, think I'd like to have a week like yours :) The albums look great and of course, I have one of Jenny's fantastic bags, so can well and truly understand why you would want to make some yourself. You've succeeded in making me drool with your photos of the pancakes, think I might make some tonight for dessert - won't be as good to look at, but hopefully will taste good. Thanks for sharing!

Mistea said...

Sure does look like you had a fabulous week. Lovely Christmas albums you have created and your bags are looking gorgeous already.
Good to see you enjoy your beautiful city.a

rosie said...

Lovely post Teresa... Love those albums... where did you get those rings from? Been looking here in the country for ages and can't find them... Those bags are incredible...

Dianne said...

It's a great post Teresa. I love Brissy too and I didn't even realize the Pancake Manor was still in existence. I remember going there years and years ago, maybe even before children!! It was good then too. Must check it out next time we are in the big smoke. Your bag has turned out beautifully, lovely colours. Di.

Jan said...

What a great week, Teresa - and you make me feel so hungry. Love the bags and the albums.