Saturday, July 23, 2011

Queensland Art Gallery

Last week I went along to the Queensland Art Gallery in Brisbane. Showing at the moment is "Art, Love and Life". Paintings by the Australian born E Phillips Fox and his English wife, Ethel Carrick Fox. There are over 100 paintings and it tells the story of an artistic marriage and partnership, one of the most significant in Australian art.It was wonderful. The paintings of both are truly beautiful and I really enjoyed the exhibition.
I love going to the Art Galleries and over the years there have been some wonderful exhibitions. I always go with my Uncle and he's terrific in letting me know what's on and what's coming up. I'm very lucky to have him to go to these types of things. It's nice to have someone with the same taste and he makes sure I get my dose of culture regularly!!!
Making it even more enjoyable is the fact that Mum is still here and was able to join us in the city to spend the day at the Museum of Art...
We also talked Mum into visiting the Surrealism Exhibition with us a couple of weeks back.
What a contrast to the "Art, Love and Life" Exhibition!!!
So different, sometimes dark and even a bit scary!!!
But also another wonderful Exhibition to see.
Have you been to the Art Gallery lately? I just love it... I love stepping back and seeing the paintings as they should be... but I also LOVE getting up close and seeing every individual brush stroke.... imagining I can see that paintbrush making that actual stroke. I've seen some very famous, wonderful paintings over the years and I feel very lucky that I've been able to experience them and their artist.
Just magic!
Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

Val said...

I don't usually instigate the art gallery visits. Mum and my daughters are quite keen and I just get swept along. I always have a good time. Seeing the paintings live is so different to just looking at pictures of them. Love your review. Might go to see that exhibition.

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

You are much more 'cultured' than me!! but those paintings of Fox's are amazing... I love the colours.... and that other fox growling at its tail across the bench made me laugh....
Hugz

Roseanne said...

Look like you had a good time at the Art Gallerie. you would like sheffield in Tasmania with all public murals.

Merilyn said...

What a glorious way to spend a day! I love days spent in art gallerys! They don't happen very often these days, but there is something about the artworks that does the soul good!!!!

Tatkis said...

Great exhibition day, and with your family it is much more interesting - to share your impressions!
I'd love to visit first exhibition (and my thoughts about surrealist's works was close to yours :) )

Hugs,
Tatyana

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love the Qld Art Gallery. I take myself on dates there quite often...glad you have some lovely people to share it with. The exhibition looks great.

marina said...

a work friend and i visited the melbourne art gallery and we wandered for a good few hours and didn't see it all. I love the traditional old masters type paintings. When you come to Melbourne next.....