Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesdays Treasures

Today I made the trip to Redcliffe to spend the day with my Mum. The weather wasn't the best there today and it rained on and off and of course it was windy!
We had a lovely seafood lunch... it wouldn't be the same without a food photo he he!!
After a lovely drive and walk around the waterfront we decided to visit the Redcliffe Museum... something I haven't done before. Redcliffe is very special to me and is where I grew up and spent my early childhood. Many of my family still live there.
So today, my treasures are my wonderful memories I have of Redcliffe and the Museum really helped bring them back.
I don't know how many times Mum and I said "I remember having that!"
The displays were fantastic and there was even a replica of the old Pier Theatre where we sat and watched old black and white movies of the old days of Redcliffe and Humpybong, the old Hornibrook Bridge, Suttons Beach, Margate... oh it was wonderful.
March 1954!
On display there at the moment are these absolutely amazing quilts (how fortunate!!!).
They are made by the Reddy Arts Textile Group... an amazing group of women based in Redcliffe.
Their quilts were simply masterpieces!
There isn't just fabric in these...they've even used pieces of metal to show the wreckage of the Gayundah Shipwreck off the coast of Redcliffe at Woody Point.
I could have stared at these amazing pieces for hours. So much work and creativity in them!
Lots of treasures today, and Memories being the most special....
Spending the day with Mum and my youngest son... more treasures.
I am going to see who else is playing today over at Melodys!
Hope you are having a wonderful week.


17 comments:

Quilt Kitty said...

Beautiful quilts & a beautiful day! Tracee xx

Selina said...

LOVE the laundry stuff!!

Merilyn said...

Thankyou for sharing your wonderful day at the coast. That museum looks very interesting and the quilts are spectacular. I'm wondering about those bonnets? They look very similiar to a Convict Bonnett I made a few years ago. If you have any info I'd be interested to hear it!!

Val said...

Those quilts were amazing. I love the one with the pelicans. Your fish and chips looks delicious. I usually forget to take a photo til it is too late and the plate is empty :) The museum sounds like a good place to visit.

Free Hosting Templates said...

Good photos!

Rochelle said...

Looks like you had a truly wonderful day - what a treasure :-)
That museum looks wonderful, I may have to hunt it out next time I am up that way.

Sheila said...

Redcliffe looks like a beautiful place and the museum looks wonderful . I love visiting museums such as this one .The quilts are just incredible wow what talent. Glad you enjoyed your day .

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Great photos..looks like another wonderful day....

Dianne said...

Thanks for sharing your memories and your lovely day out. Those quilts are amazing. I have memories of crossing the old Hornibrook bridge. A lovely part of the world.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Great photos. I love the bonnets and those quilts are amazing. Love Redcliffe had many a Christmas Tree party there as a child.Glad you had a nice day with your Mum.

chrisartist said...

A beautiful day out with your Mum.
How lovely
Chrisartist

Val said...

My husband and I were wondering where you had that great fish lunch. We want have a day out there soon.

Melody said...

The museum looks wonderful. So glad you had a great day.

Mum said...

Thankyou for a wonderful day. Love Mum

helbel19 said...

You have had some great outings, lucky girl.

Helen

Marilyn said...

Those quilts are amazing arent they. I saw them when they were exhibited last year and was astounded at the work that had gone into them.
Sounds like you had a lovely time around Redcliffe.

clare's craftroom said...

What fantastic treasures ! I used to visit a friend who lived at Scarborough next to Redcliffe back in my olden days , lol !