Monday, March 14, 2011

What Makes me Happy 14/3/2011

What makes me happy today is FOOD... I love good food (I know there are a few of my blogging friends out there who are quite aware of this he he!!!)
I am very lucky to have married into a Greek family with a mother in law who is a wonderful cook. I love Greek food, especially the biscuits and cakes. Baklava and Kourabiethes are at the top of the list. Kourabiethes (Greek shortbread) is something I can manage and my boys just love them. I thought I would share my recipe with you so you can enjoy them too!

Kourabiethes
250 g butter
3 tbsp sifted icing sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp brandy
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups icing sugar (extra)

Beat the butter and icing sugar together until creamy. Add egg, brandy, flour, baking powder and nuts.
Roll approximately 1 teaspoon size of mixture into an oval shape and place on an ungreased tray. Continue with the rest of the mixture.
Bake in a moderate oven (200 degrees) for 15 to 20 minutes.
While biscuits are still warm, place them into a container holding the extra icing sugar and coat the biscuits.
Leave in icing sugar in an airtight container and eat when cool!
Yummo! Expect to have some icing sugar down the front of you when you eat them!

Hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

14 comments:

KAYLEE said...

Hi Teresa, ummmm yes I can relate to your love for food, I love my food also :-) These sound delicious, thankyou for sharing. Cheers Kaylee

Carolyn said...

Yum! My brother-in-law is from a Greek family and his mum taught my sister her family recipes. Combine that with the fact that she my sister)is a talented chef- the result- bliss!!! PS. My favourite greek sweet is the one that looks like shredded wheat- sorry, can't spell it.

Scottish Nanna said...

MMMMM looks yummy I cant have enything with egg in it.and I hate it I have to miss out on A lot of goodies.I have two grand children who are going to marry into greek families.
Hugs Mary.

Fiona said...

Yum sounds delicious !! Must be a day for it I have had a baking day today.

Hugs - Fee XX

marina said...

Yumm, save me a piece of baklava, it is one of my favourite sweets. I would hate to have to choose between Greek sweets and Greek savouries! They are both tempting.

Selina said...

love Greek shortbread! Like Mum said above, my uncle is Greek and my aunt makes all the Greek treats taught to her by her MIL, just delicious!

Michelle Ridgway said...

They look scrummy Teresa and thanks for the recipe. I will give it to my daughter as she is our cook. I didn't get the cooking gene but I did get the eating gene!!

Melody said...

Thank you for this recipe. I love Greek shortbread but have never made it so I'll give it a go.

Roseanne said...

Yum they sound good. I will have to have a go at making them. I will think of you when I eat them.

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello Teresa,
Your post brought back good memories of my days as a new nurse working in Labor and Delivery. We had a "Greek Intern" who brought us "Greek Treats" all the time and "Baklava" was my favorite. VBG

Have A Great Week. Thanks for your very kind comment on my blog. Big Hugs Judy

Jantine said...

Sounds delicious. Not sure what icing sugar would be in Dutch though...

BubzRugz said...

Yummo.... I love these.... just didn't know what they were called.... and I love Baklava too,..
Hugz

rozhearts said...

Those treats sound ever so yummy I am not familiar with Greek food so I will have to give this recipe a try. I am not a keen cooker but simple things I can do I think.LOL
(((HUGS))) Roz.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I think these would make me happy as well Teresa...yummo