Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesdays Treasures

I've missed the last two weeks for Tuesdays Treasures....the first week because I had no internet service and last week because I simply wasn't home all day!!! But this week I am back with another treasure to share.


These beautiful cameo earrings were my mothers and she gave them to me quite a few years back now. I knew they were given to her by her father (my Grandfather) but that is all I knew. The beauty of doing these posts every Tuesday is that I am finding out more about my treasures as well. I emailed my Mum to find out more about them and I learned that these earrings and the little guitar brooch that I showed HERE in an earlier post, were the only 2 things her Dad gave her. The brooch was given to my mum, from her father, who left the family of 9 children, when she was 7 years of age. Mum searched for him as an adult, & found him when she was 32 years of age, this is when he gave her the earrings. She had a beautiful relationship with him, but only for 11 months, when he suddenly died of a heart attack. So this means I have the first and last treasures that he ever gave her. I just love them, but they make me a little sad too.
My mum and I went on a holiday together at South Mole Island years back and just before we went over to the Island, we visited my Grandfather who lived close by. A few days later, whilst still on holiday, my Mum received the phone call that he had passed away. I have a lovely photo of the two of them just before he died and I am so glad that we got the chance to see him when we did.


Well I am off to Clares to see more Tuesdays Treasures.
Hope you're enjoying today!

10 comments:

Melody said...

They are so beautiful. What a love;y thing to have.

BubzRugz said...

WElcome back to TT - missed you! These are just lovely - I think cameo's are exquisite.... I hope you wear them??
Hugz

clare's craftroom said...

What an amazing story both happy and sad . It's lovely you have those earrings , thanks for showing us and playing along .

toni said...

How very beautiful, both the earrings and your story, thanks for sharing with us. toni xxx

Annette said...

What a lovely keepsake and story. You can't put a price on those sorts of things.

Wickedly Divine Creations said...

Great story and lovely cameos. very special

Bev C said...

Hello Teresa,

What a lovely story and a true treasure. Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Teresa they are truly lovely and how lucky you are to have them..

Janice said...

Your earrings are beautiful and what a lovely story behind them.

Home and Heart said...

What gorgeous creations, and the story behind then is amazing and touching!! I LOVE family stories!