Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesdays Treasures

Another Tuesday, another "Treasure" to show you......
This is my Noah's Ark, complete with pewter pairs of animals.
Not long after I was married (24 years ago) my husband bought me this ark, and then every birthday, anniversary, Christmas, for a few years, I received gifts of the animals. The ark is made of wood, but the animals are all Selangor Pewter and quite heavy. I just love it.
The detail in the pieces is incredible. Noah sits at the top with two parrots on his shoulder and he's holding his hand up letting all know that only "two" of every animal is required.
The animals are either a solid pair or two single animals that fit snugly into each other.
There is even Noahs wife and for as long as I can remember, I have put the hippos on the stairs. I think they were two of the first animals I received.
My husband tells me that the shop he bought the ark from didn't actually want to sell it to him, as it was part of their display, but he was persistent (lucky for me!!).
I haven't got all the animals that you could originally buy, as they stopped making and selling them. I have tried to find more of them (on ebay and etsy, etc.), but so far I haven't found any.
It is one of my absolute favourite things my husband has given me and something I will always treasure.
If you want to see more Treasures, hop on over to Clare's blog... and why not join in and show off some of your treasures? It's so much fun going down Memory Lane!
Thanks so much for stopping by,
Teresa xx

19 comments:

Fiona said...

That is so lovely Teresa and so thoughtful of your hubby to buy such a gift. Hugs - Fee XX

Janice said...

How lovely. I love that your hubby had a ready made gift idea for you each special occasion. He did well to get the ark too. I hope you can find some extra pieces along the way.

Joy said...

Oh I love it ... I've never seen one of those before, how fabulous!!!
I have to tell you Teresa ... I can remember asking someone years ago - when we were talking about Noah and the ark - what was Noah's wife's name? Do you know what he answered???
"Well it must be Joan .... Joan of Ark" :o/..... grooooannnn LOL.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

BubzRugz said...

I haven't seen anything like that before.... the animals are so well made too. I love the whole tableau and am not surprise it is so special to you.... How big is the ark and Noah (for example) It is really a lovely treasure.... Hugz

clare's craftroom said...

That is just amazing how lovely and how very special ! Thanks for playing along .

marina said...

I just love your Noah's ark and animals! they are wonderful.

Vicki said...

That is so lovely Teresa...I have not ever seen anything like it. Very special indeed :) hugs Vicki xxoxox

Melody said...

I've never seen anything like this before. It is wonderful - what a lovely thing to have

Mistea said...

Clever Husband to find something which would provide him with gifts for multiple occasions. Gorgeous set and Noah's Ark really is a timeless Treasure.

Thanks for sharing.

Sheila said...

Teresa , I have never seen anything like this before , it is absolutely gorgeous and most unique , you are indeed lucky to own such a treasure .

KAYLEE said...

This is just glorious Teresa, it certainly is a treasure and I have never seen anything like this ever. Cheers Kaylee

Suzi-q said...

What a wonderful gift an unique as well...goodluck in finding more animals

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Hi Teresa, your Noah and Ark is truly beautiful...

jeanette h said...

Hi Teresa i hav`nt seen any thing like this very nice,
some thing special, for some one special,from some one special.truley a treasure cheers x

Bogdan Stelistul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cattinka said...

I like to read about your treasures. In fact I even went to Clares blog and looked at the other girls treasures also, it was a lot of fun.
KATRIN W.

Jantine said...

I really love the ark and am sorry to read you couldn't get all the animals. I really hope you will find some more through this post!

mandapanda said...

Oooh I just love it!!! So special!! I shall keep my eyes open for pewter animals for you!

Anonymous said...

I have the same Ark and animals. My Mr's Noah and a couple of my collection went missing. I only have 10 pieces left including Noah.A child visitor took a liking to them also and started his own collection. I have had mine for almost 30 yrs and it's on display all the time. Mine was a gift from a male friend.