Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesdays Treasures

Hi everyone... Continuing with Clares wonderful idea to post about our treasures has bought back more wonderful memories today. My treasures are these two books. I received the book on the left (The Trumpet of the Swan) in 1972. My teacher, at the time, was a Mr. Callaghan and he gave me this book when I was in hospital getting my tonsils taken out. He made a special trip to the hospital to see me and my sister (who was in for the same operation) and as it was close to Christmas, gave me this book.
I loved this book so much and then in 1975 I saw the movie Charlottes Web and bought the book at the same time. Both are by the same author E.B. White - who also wrote 'Stuart Little'.
I only knew my teacher Mr. Callaghan as "Sir" - so this is how he signed the book.
I was in grade 4 at the time and I thought he was the best teacher in the world.
'Charlottes Web' is very well known and most people know the story, but if you ever get the chance to read 'The Trumpet of the Swan', do so, it is such a beautiful story. Author E.B. White wrote the most wonderful books for children and as you can see by the covers, I've read these 2 books many, many times.
Happy Tuesday to you!!

15 comments:

clare's craftroom said...

Teresa , thanks so much for telling about that book . I read Charlottes Web many , many times when I was a kid , now I must find this other book . Thanks for playing along .

Anita said...

Aww Teresa, Signed by Sir....I bet you will treasure that book! It seemed back in our time every kid that went to hospital to have their tonsils out got a wonderful book as a get well gift. I did too when I had my tonsils out, my book was Sleeping Beauty. I still have it somewhere! Kind regards, Anita.

retdairyqueen said...

Oh I remember "Sir"
Pity there wasnt a little more respect now days

Kerri said...

Lovely treasures. Great memories

Janice said...

What a lovely story of your books. The love of reading is such a treasure.

Chartreuse Moose said...

I adore books and will go in search of these for the twins library shelves! Had never tied this author to Stuart Little...a darling little dear who could motivate me to adopt again...and again...and again!!! ;-)

Sheila said...

Lovely story and great books , I loved to read as a child as well and among my favorites was Charlottes Web.

BubzRugz said...

It is so nice to have special books to treasure.... you can go back to them again.... and again.... and again..... I haven't read either of these so need to get them out sometime........... Hugz

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

How nice is that..what a wonderful teacher he must have been...nice memories.

Di's Quilting and Craft said...

Lovely treasures Teresa, and being given by a teacher makes it even more special. Yes, we all seemed to get our tonsils out - I was given a colour by numbers book to amuse me, but as Mum was a 'chucker' I don't have much from those days. Memories of lots of ice cream and jelly though:-)

Fiona said...

It is easy to see how much you treasure them from your lovely words XXXX

mandapanda said...

Wonderful Treasures Teresa!! Thankyou for sharing! I've never heard of the Trumpet of the Swan...I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy!
(When I got my tonsils and adonoids out at age 5 my parents made sure it was during the school holidays! Darn! Sadly, my doctor tells me now that I still have tonsil tissue left...)

Shiree said...

oooh what wonderful childhood treasures indeed!

SheilaC said...

I LOVE Charlotte's Web and read it over and over as a kid and cried every time :)

It's funny but I had never heard of Trumpet of the Swan until I started working in the schools, and I still haven't read it.

Those books are a wonderful memory of a great teacher

SheilaC

marina said...

How sweet! I quite like Charlotte's web and Stuart Little. Will have to look out for the first one you mentioned.
Congratulations on the new car, anniversary and your big finish of the Girls day out quilt. It looks fantastic. Well done.