Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tuesdays Treasures

I know it's Wednesday and I am a day late. Clare has come up with this wonderful idea.....
I couldn't help but join in after looking at everyone's treasures. What a great way to stroll down memory lane. This particular treasure is something I have wanted to blog about (maybe in my What Makes Me Happy?) for some time......This is my Thumbelina Doll and she is just over 40 years old. I absolutely loved her when I was young and she is the only doll I have kept. As I had boys, I gave all my other dolls to my sister and nieces.
I still keep her in my little suitcase, which was my kindy port. It still has my name on it and the transfers that my Mum decorated it with.
My Grandmother was a wonderful knitter and she made all the clothes for my doll, including jackets and bonnets and boottees. The little outfit (pink pants and white top) in the bottom right hand corner is the original outfit.
She has a ring pull on her back that when you pull, makes the doll squirm and move like a real baby..... and guess what.... it still works. While checking this out I discovered my mum has written my name and phone number on her bottom in blue pen!!! Must have been because I used to take her to kindy (and everywhere else!) and in case I lost her.
I love her so much and I love that my Mum and my Grandmother are all caught up in the wonderful memories this little doll provokes.
Wow this was so much fun and I couldn't help myself... I had to change her clothes (ah! once a little girl, always a little girl!!!)
Thanks Clare for this great idea... If you too want to join in, you will find the details here....
Have a great day!
Teresa xx

21 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

She's looking real good for 40 years old!!

Joy said...

Oh my goodness Teresa ... you just brought back some lovely memories for me too!!! I had that dolly when I was little as well :o) ~ I also had another one with white hair and a little rocking horse ... when you pulled the string to make him squirm he rocked the horse!! How cute is that :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Liz said...

teresa-thanks for sharing this.Brought back a lot of memories.

Cattinka said...

What a nice idea to show your treasures, and what a beautiful doll.
KATRI W.

Vicki said...

What lovely memories for you Teresa and the doll is lovely too :) How special she is :)Hugs Vicki

clare's craftroom said...

Oh Teresa what wonderful treasures ! Those decals bought back memories for me too . Thanks so much for playing and sharing these .

Sue said...

Eternally young. She is a beautiful doll and all her clothes are so special. What gorgeous memories you have.

Sarah Lou said...

Oh that is so darling!! She is the sweetest thing, and those transfers. oh just darling

Mistea said...

What a sweet little miss. Love her little suitcase and that wardrobe is just gorgeous.

Enjoy the memories.

Sewlmate Sister said...

Teresa, love your blog, came over here after you commented on mine, now I'm stuck!!! LOL I'm a follower now!!!!

Chartreuse Moose said...

What a lovely post, loved every single word of it! Still chuckling that your mom wrote on her bottom, but then she knew what might happen if she were lost! Big e-hugs for the fun memories! Still hoping my DD turns into a girlie girl, momma wants to play dolls again too!

mandapanda said...

What a sweetie! I love all her clothes, that is just so cute! My Mum has dolls that she and her sister were given when they were little. She also has her younger (and therefor not as old) sisters doll. For some reason they never wanted to keep them. They've been handed down to me now, I must get them out and blog about them in another Tuesday Treasure.

Wickedly Divine Creations said...

Shes a cutie. My little Miss 16 month old ....who is supposed to be asleep at 2:30 in the am but isn't...thinks so too. I almost had her back to sleep then I clicked your page to look at and she spotted your dolly! "ooooh wot dat?" she says then tries to kiss the screen telling me "ahh bubby" little poo ;)

SheilaC said...

What a sweet doll and what sweet memories of your mom and grandma!

Thanks for sharing :)

SheilaC

Bev C said...

Hello Teresa,
Thank you for letting us look at your wonderful treasures. I just love the fact that you still have your kindy case. I am sure you will have grandchildren one day to share this doll with. Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

rozhearts said...

Thanks for sharing Teresa. I just loved your little treasued memory. And to think that you still have all the little clothes to go with her. I do so enjoy reading your blog.
(((HUGS))) Roslyn

BubzRugz said...

She has kept very well! And still so stylish. I think this is such a special treasure - is she played with?

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Now she is just so very cute.....love the port...

Anita said...

Hi Teresa, I'm so happy for you. One little doll has provoked such lovely memories and entwined 3 lovely souls forever. I love the knitted clothes your Grandmother made for your doll. It was so special back in those days to have handmade clothes for your doll and would be just as special these days. Kind regards, Anita.

Rebecka said...

Teresa,
What a fun post! Your doll is in such good shape and the knitted clothes are beautiful. I enjoyed your story! It made me remember my doll. My clothes were sewn by my mother and my grandma made her a doll quilt. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Chris Jeffery said...

40 years old and she's still just as young and pretty as before. You've been taking care of her quite well! Awesome! And she's got very beautiful doll clothes. It's also nice that she's really loved by your mom and grandmom, too.