Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Makes Me Happy Week No. 17

I am a day early this week and also I have to say that what is making me happy today... also made me sad.
What is making me happy is that I was able to attend the ANZAC Day Dawn Service this morning.
There were so many people there at 4.30 in the morning, that it made me very proud of our small town.
The service was lovely, sad and inspiring.
I'm very glad I was able to go - to remember and honour those who have served and died, fighting for our freedom.

This is a photo of my Dad in June 1966. He was 21 years old and sitting on the steps of my Nanna's house. This is the day my Dad left for Vietnam.
I am so grateful he came home.
He came home and became my dad.
This really makes me more than happy!!!

The ANZAC Dedication:
For the Fallen
by Laurence Binyon

They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning,
We will remember them.
We will remember them.

10 comments:

Julie said...

yes, a very proud and sad day indeed.
lest we forget.

julie

retdairyqueen said...

Yes we will indeed remember them

Anita said...

Hi Teresa, I am so proud of all the young people and little children that are also attending the ANZAC services. We will always remember. Kind regards, Anita.

SheilaC said...

Your father looks so handsome (and so young!) in his uniform....

SheilaC

Bev C said...

Hello Teresa, a very apt post. Love the photo of your Dad, glad he came home to. Happy days to your and your Dad.
Bev.xoxox

Pam said...

What a Hero your Dad is Teresa & yes wasn't it a beautiful service, always so emotional. My Uncle Ian paid the Supreme Sacrifice & was shot down 24 December 1944 aged 22yrs over Vunapope.My auburn haired Granny turned white over night when she was told

Joy said...

Teresa what a lovely post, and such a beautiful pic of your Dad. He looks so handsome in his uniform :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Rae Ann said...

I LOVE this post Teresa! Your son reminds me of your father a bit. Nice looking men the both of them.
Glad you had such a nice day!

mandapanda said...

None of my family, on either side, served in WW2, and I'm not sure about WW1. So I am proud to know people whose Dads and Grandads did! I think without a public holiday, they would be forgotten that much easier. When there's a day off, people kind of celebrate the reason more than say, rememberance day where it's a minute of silence and that's it. You know?
You gotta go read this -

http://creativebreathing.blogspot.com/2010/05/speaking-of-birthdays.html

Margie said...

I just happened onto your blog today via Mothers Cupboard's (Fiona"s blog). While going through your blog I found this post and the poem that brought tears to my eyes. I hope you do not mind that I used it to put on my Facebook page today. We lost our Firstborn grandson to the war in Afghanistan in January and the poem is so fitting. If you want me to remove it please say so, "Thank You" and I now will be reading your blog!