Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter to everyone!
Today I am making Greek Easter Bread (Tsoureki).
There are so many recipes out there for this and they are all slightly different. There are savoury recipes and sweet, even with icing drizzled over the top. I love the red eggs baked into the bread and this is how I make ours....
Firstly to make the red dyed eggs you will need 3 0r 4 hard-boiled eggs. In a small deep bowl combine 1/2 cup boiling water, 20 drops red food colouring and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
Add eggs one at a time, turning until the desired shade is reached.
Drain and allow to dry.
To make the bread you will need:
3 cups self raising flour, sifted
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp sugar
90g butter
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk, beaten

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Rub in butter until it looks like breadcrumbs.
Combine egg and milk, pour into dry ingredients and mix to a soft dough.
Knead lightly on a floured surface and divide mixture in half.
Divide each half into 3 and roll each section into a sausage shape and plait together, sealing ends with egg yolk.
Join the 2 plaits together to form a circle on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
Push eggs evenly into plait.
Brush remaining egg yolk mixture over the plait.
Bake in 180 C oven for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool.
In the past I have made this with sultanas and mixed peel. You can even drizzle icing over the bread when it's cooled for a sweet alternative.

Yummo.... best eaten while it's still warm with a bit of butter.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone!

Teresa xx

5 comments:

Lurline said...

Looks wonderful, Teresa - I have coffee beside me- wish I could have some!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Julia said...

Yum Teresa, I have a greek DIL, Joe's wife,who is very much traditional, but I have never seen her make these, must ask her about them..
Julia ♥

mandapanda said...

Hi Teresa! Have a very Happy Easter! I hope you and all your boys enjoy a bit of time off to spend together!
Hugs!

Jantine said...

Mmmm this sounds terrific. Wish I could come and have a bite ;-)

Cardygirl said...

Happy Easter Teresa!