Sunday, March 7, 2010

What Makes Me Happy No. 10

What's making me happy this week?
The wonderful, glorious rain!!!
We have lived on our acreage for nearly 23 years and we don't have town water, just a dam and tank water. So we appreciate every drop we get. Over the last few weeks we've had so much rain. (I can't tell you exactly how much as I kept forgetting to empty the rain gauge and it's overflowed on a number of occasions!)
We have just come out of one of the worst droughts we've had since we've lived here.
Down the back of our property is a lot of bush (6 acres of it) and this is our dam at the moment. Very full!
Everything is lovely and green. But still too wet to mow! When I walked down the back to take the photos I kept sinking into the ground. It will take quite a while to dry out and we got more rain this morning.
I know there are lots of places that have been flooded and have had far too much rain, but we have been lucky and are still able to get to most areas (including work unfortunately!) and the roads haven't been flooded around where we live.
It's such a nice feeling to have the tanks and the dam full of precious water.
I just wish there was a way to move the excess water to places that really need it!
Hope you are all having a wonderful Monday!!
Teresa xx

13 comments:

Lurline said...

Oh, I can see why you are so happy, Teresa - yes, it is a shame so much has to go to waste - never mind, that is nature and we can only do so much!
Hugs - Lurline♥

mandapanda said...

I'm sing-ing in the rain! Just sing-ing in the rain! What a glor-ious feel-ing, I'm Happy again!!!
All the rain from everywhere else is coming into the Fitzroy river now, and it is so full!! The damn looks lovely with the waterlilies and al the green grass! Love the tree house! I want one!!
Did you see on the news all the snakes that are ow moving into the towns because it's dryer there? I thought that was so funny! I would love to be a qualified snake catcher and travel down there to catch them all, and once the floods are over, release them again.

SheilaC said...

Is your water tank elevated or at ground level? Wondering how the water gets to your house, (pump or gravity?)
Is it chemical free like well water?
We live in a city so we have chlorine and I think they still add fluoride...

I love good well water :)

SHeilaC

Chookyblue...... said...

we got a couple of inchs over the weekend as well and I can truly appreciate how valuable it is to get that rain for the tanks etc.........so I revel in your excitement.......

Selina said...

I KNOW! How fabulous has it been! Hubby got bogged up the back yard taking some bales of straw to our poor water logged chooks, had to get his boss to come and tow him out! Love it though!

Di's Quilting and Craft said...

Sharing your happiness. We haven't had as much as you but we are very grateful for what we have had. Everything is greened up beautifully and my roses are flowering at last.
We will all be mowing madly when it stops raining!

jilly said...

Good news about the rain. I personally would rather have sunshine everyday, but even here in San Diego, we need rain. The more we get, the less chance of fires.

Enjoy your week.

Blessings,
Jilly

Bev C said...

Hello Teresa, what a blessing having all that rain. So glad to hear that your tanks are full. Amazing rainfall that the east coast is getting. Maybe one day soon we will get some here in the west. Enjoy!!!!! Happy days to you.
Bev.

Rebecka said...

Wow! That's a lot of rain. Your photos are beautiful. It looks really green. Do you have times when you are out of water?

Wendy B said...

How does the old song go?....Its not easy being green!....the muppets had it wrong! Love the way the country looks after rain.....beats the brown wastelands we've had for tooooo long!
great photos Theresa!

Tereasa said...

Love the tree house, Treez...maybe I could move in there!

Jantine said...

Water is precious and I can understand the happy feeling. All this lush green must be great after this drought to look at!

Pansy said...

Spectacular veiws that makes me happy too, first time in years we have got lilies on our dam I am so excited now to see what colour they turn out to be