Thursday, January 28, 2010

Block Keeper Tutorial

I have done a tutorial for a block keeper using a post office tube and a couple of people have asked me to put it on my blog. This is my first tutorial, so please excuse any mistakes. If you have any questions, or need further instructions, please leave me a comment and I will do my best to explain. I know there are lots of ways of doing this and this is in no way the first time a post pak tube has been used for a block keeper - this is just my take on how to put it all together.
Hope you enjoy making the block keeper.....

1. First of all you will need a postpak tube from the post office. There are different sizes available, but the 17 1/2" and the 29" tubes are the best. You will also need fabric for the outer, lining and wadding. Cut a piece of fabric the length of the tube by however wide you want the keeper to be (remembering the fabric has to go around the tube once and be big enough for your blocks). For the 17 1/2" tube I cut a piece 17 1/2" x 36".

2. Draw and cut out 2 curved corners on one short end.
3. Use this piece as a pattern to cut the same in the 2nd piece of fabric and the wadding.

4. Quilt these pieces together any way you like - just as you would if you were making a little quilt.


5. Make a tie 1 1/2" x 30". Sew along the long edges and turn through. Find the centre of the tie and the centre of the curved side and pin to the edge as above.
6. Make enough binding to go around 3 edges of the mini quilt. The short straight edge is glued to the tube, so you don't have to bind it.

7. Bind the edges, catching in the ties.

8. Handstitch binding to the inside.

9. Now comes the fun part.... Take the plastic ends off the tube and place the tube onto the fabric, making sure it is straight and edges line up. Using a hot golue gun, glue all the way down the raw edge of the quilt. Roll the tube back onto the glue and hold in place until it dries.

10. Now roll the fabric around the tube and glue along the edge again, enclosing the raw edges.

11. Once the glue dries I slip stitch the fabrics together. This neatens it up and makes it stronger so it won't come off the tube.

12. Roll it all up and use the ties to keep it all together.

13. If you want to cover up the plastic ends, you can either make 2 suffolk puffs or you can make 2 little pincushions. Just hot glue them to the plastic ends when you're done.

All you have to do now is put your blocks on the quilt and roll it all up.... Too easy!!!
Hope you can follow my instructions, and I would love to know how you go making one for yourself.

Teresa xx

36 comments:

Shiree said...

this is a great tutorial Teresa, I have several of these, and they are just fabulous to use!

Jo in TAS said...

Great tutorial Teresa, I'm sure it'll encourage lots of bloggers to have a go!

Robyn said...

I agree...thanks heaps Teresa... it looks like a great tute!!
Very clear and concise.

I love my block keeper...they're very handy and also make a great gift.
Thanks again.

Khris said...

I made one almost exactly like this years and years ago....gosh I hardly ever even use it these days.....thanks for the tutorial I will put a link on the freebies blog...hugs Khris

Khris said...

Ohh..I didn't use glue..I finished both ends and then put velcro along the whole length so that the tube is wrapped in it...you can then take it off to wash if ever necessary.
Hugs Khris

Angie@treasures for tots said...

Come share your creation at my party: Thursday's Treasures!
http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/01/thursdays-treasures-week-7.html

Tozz said...

This is fantastic Teresa and your tutorial makes it so easy. Thanks heaps :)
Hugs
Vicki

Scully236 said...

Looks great! I love the colours.

Jytte said...

Hi Teresa,
This was just what I was looking for. It is a great tutorial. Thank you so much.
Jytte from Denmark

Rebecka said...

Thank you so much. What a great way to stay organized and keep your blocks neat. I have to make one!!!

Rae Ann said...

What a wonderful idea Teresa! I love this block keeper and appreciate the great tutorial. I will show it to my quilt guild today.
Hugs!

Li de Liége said...

Muito obrigada!!!!!!
Ontem mesmo estava pensando como conseguir fazer um. Aqui no Brasil nunca vi igual. OBrigada!!!
Vou fazer.
liége

Julia said...

Great tutorial Teresa, so easy to follow..a friend made me one a while back...they are so great!
Julia ♥

SheilaC said...

This block keeper is a great idea!!

Thank you for sharing it


SheilaC

Di's Quilting and Craft said...

I've seen these before and wondered how - thanks for showing us your way of doing it. May give it a go.

Jantine said...

This is a very clear tutorial! I think I should start one too, might come in handy ;-)

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea Teresa,and could you please tell what a Suffolk puff is?
There must be someone besides me who has no idea-LOL

cassy_rox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
teresa said...

I hope the above person,(Anonymous), reads these comments again! Unfortunately you are a no reply blogger and I can't answer your question as I can't contact you. If you'd like to contact me again with your email I will gladly show you how to make a suffolk puff. Cheers, Teresa

Dawn said...

Wow Teresa great tuturial....Love it and will have to make another one... mine looks shabby...
Hugs Dawn x x

pauline said...

Thanks for sharing your Block Keeper idea Teresa. It's a good one and I am going to have a go at it. I also like what Khris said about using velcroe instead of glue. Good tutorial! Cheers from Pauline.

nima said...

wow...great idea, thank you for sharing

Susie Q said...

Great idea. Sending the link to friends and family....I'll bet thsi would also work to tote jigsaw puzzles!

Anonymous said...

Please don't read this like I have an attitude. I'm legitimately asking... Why do I need one of these? I'm new to quilting and I'm trying to figure out why you'd need to store blocks. Any follow up comments?

Robin said...

Great Job! It looks to be similar to a puzzle keeper (jigsaw puzzle) but that was made of felt, this one is very elegant looking!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My quilting friends will go for this one for sure, goody, Xmas gifts for at least two people

rose said...

bravo il est superbe.
merci pour le tuto
amitiée
rose

Rochelle said...

Hi Teresa,

I loved your Block Keeper so much, I had a go too - thanks

http://rochellebuckley.blogspot.com/2010/12/block-keeper-or-embroidery-roll.html

Rochelle

My 1st Bambina! said...

Thanks sooo much for this tutorial!
I'm very visual and now, thanks to your tutorial, I can understand how to make one!
I hope its ok that I added the link on my blog under the Online Tutorials/Freebies page.
Thanks Again!!!

♥ Mariasun ♥ said...

Muchas gracias.
Una idea muy bonita.
Saludos desde España.

milainoa said...

Precisamente estoy haciendo uno, pero el final del tubo me encanta, así que lo voy hacer con el tubo, muchas gracias.
un abrazo desde España..

Andrea said...

Awesome, love how the photos and instructions are so easy to follow, thanks for that, and thanks to the others for the free hints, to make it easy e.g. velcro. Excellent.

Cathy said...

I love the tutorial!! Can you tell me how to make a suffolk puff??

Thanks!!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

kytravelrn@gmail.com

Leeanne said...

Fantastic tutorial..I love what you have done, now I'll need to make at least four for all my different projects!

Trudy said...

Teresa, thank you very much for this clear tutorial!
We're travelling to Perth (WA) next week and I'll be taking my result for my quiltingwork in the plane!
If you're curious, you can see some photo's on my blog!
greetings from Holland!

tillymint said...

What a super tutorial, Teresa, thank you! It was so easy to follow and the photos are a great help. I made a block keeper yesterday and just blogged about it.